New Comer Starting Out

David Wright

If you are going to use rub down transfers hold them in place with scotch magic tape it stops the transfer moving but its not strong enough to pull the paint off. I'm following KirtleyPete's ideas on printing my own water slide transfers. Its a lot cheeper.

Marc

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of advice please guys. I've painted the wagon black with Humbrol Acrylic paint and looking to get some black Humbrol weathering powder to make it dirty and tired. Should I then apply some Matt Varnish? If so which brand? I've heard mixed reviews on the Humbrol varnish.

Do you also recommend Humbrol weather powders or not?

Dave

Dave

You'll get different answers to this one - I don't varnish over weathering powders or transfers, as it will give an even texture, which you probably don't want, but of course there are people who do.

Some people do varnish over transfers, or over the whole model, before weathering, as this does protect the transfers, but I've only rarely had an issue with them lifting. It also means you can wash the weathering off, or on, with little fear of it causing issues with the base colours.

There are lots of books on weathering. I enjoyed the Wild Swan book by Martyn Welch, but how much or little of his wise words have translated into successful results by me is a moot question :)

Be brave... Have a go!

Best

Simon

Dave

You'll get different answers to this one - I don't varnish over weathering powders or transfers, as it will give an even texture, which you probably don't want, but of course there are people who do.

Some people do varnish over transfers, or over the whole model, before weathering, as this does protect the transfers, but I've only rarely had an issue with them lifting. It also means you can wash the weathering off, or on, with little fear of it causing issues with the base colours.

There are lots of books on weathering. I enjoyed the Wild Swan book by Martyn Welch, but how much or little of his wise words have translated into successful results by me is a moot question :)

Be brave... Have a go!

Best

Simon

Thanks Simon,

It's my first wagon so experimenting won't hurt anyone :)

Dave

Hi Dave,

I think (hoping someone will correct me before anything dire happens) that automotive brake fluid or caustic soda will get paint off a plastic wagon without harming the plastic. So if you make an unadulterated bollox of it, all is not lost.

Another approach - I purchased a second hand LMS Beer Van from a swap meet for a tenner, on the basis that the buffers and wheels were worth that. For reasons I cannot imagine, it had been sprayed matt black. On closer inspection, it had been painted properly (if a little inexpertly) and then oversprayed with what appeared to be Halfords' best. I attacked it with a fibreglass brush (horrid things, wear gloves, don't get the dust in your eyes) and it cleaned up quite reasonably - the black stayed in the crevices & corners, and the rest cleaned up. It looks ok, bargain, I guess you get lucky sometimes.

Post up photos of your progress, they're always popular

Best

Simon

A small update from my first wagon build. I've painted the wagon using Humbrol Rail Colour Black which I seemed to get on quite well with. Obviously in the long run an airbrush would be ideal to get an even spread across the model. 

IMG_0342.jpg

IMG_0343.jpg

IMG_0344.jpg

Main issue I've had that I won't repeat next time is I painted the wagon with the wheels already on which has meant I need to take the paint I've clumsily got on the bottom of the wheels. 

Next job is waiting for the transfers from Pow Sides to arrive, I've ordered the Huxford Coal Merchants transfer that fits the 5 plank, and applying them. I've also ordered some 7mm coal from Wickness Models to fill on the inside of the wagon and some Humbrol black weathering powder to add some wear on the outer planks.

Does anyone recommend any weathering powders to create a rust affect on the underframe? Or would this be masked by the coal remains that would cover the wagon in service?

Any other tips/additional tasks that you can think of to make this wagon really come alive please do tell me! I'm very new to this.

Quite proud of what I've achieved so far. I think I'll do another plastic kit and then try and smash through a brass one! (argh!!!)

Dave

Hi,

If it is the Humbrol Acrylic black? Then a Qtip dipped in acetone (nail varnish remove) will take that off.

It is looking good and just keep experimenting with textures. I was going to finish my wagons but haven't had the time due to larger models (see the class 91 engineering model, in the prototype questions section of this forum).

Regards

Vin

Archived