The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Tankies

34theletterbetweenB&D

• RMweb Premium

I hadn't noticed that was on, so I'll catch it on repeat next week, or on iPlayer if our internet recovers from its current torpor. I assume it's based on Urban's book The Tank War, which is a good read. I got it from The Works. You might also like Jake Wardrop's Diary: A Tank Regiment Sergeant's Story (G Forty).

I will have to look out for this too.

The father of a friend was "in tanks" from c1938 (exercises on Salisbury plain etc), before which he was a drummer in a famous London dance band, right the way through, in every major action, finishing in Denmark in 1945.

He used to enthral us with his tales after dinner, until things got a bit too graphic for the younger children, at which point his wife would gently pat him on the arm and give him a certain look. His tag line was "I never slept in a bed for seven years", and it apparently took him c2 years to "come down" from combat stress, to be able to relax! Sit with his back to a door etc.

There is a very widely published photo of a tank going up the road from the D-day (+1, I think) beach towards Caen, with the 600mm gauge CF de Calvodos line alongside - he is the guy with his head out of the top of the turret in that photo.

Anyway, even at 80+, I'm sure this guy was made of steel hawsers - small, wiry, with eyes like sharp flints, and unbelievably tough.

K

I hadn't noticed that was on, so I'll catch it on repeat next week, or on iPlayer if our internet recovers from its current torpor. I assume it's based on Urban's book The Tank War, which is a good read. I got it from The Works. You might also like Jake Wardrop's Diary: A Tank Regiment Sergeant's Story (G Forty).

I think Wardrop was quoted several times.

Archived