Stop fuming!

Mornin' all,

There are many hazardous fumes/particles which a modeller can breathe in whilst carrying out his hobby and the effect is obviously cumulative. A small (folding) workbench adj. to a window or e.g. conservatory door can have a fan mounted on or next to it to blow/suck all harmful fume etc straight outside.....

post-7795-0-05604100-1448355151.jpg

http://www.ukelectricalsupplies.com/vent-axia-14-inch-box-fan.htm?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shop&utm_campaign=feed&gclid=CKLd39DXqMkCFWsJwwodSVUFkg

Dave

That's ok, but there are no windows in my garage!

A new place to search for all those small parts that go missing?

Does it extract the "fuming" caused when those tricky little bits become too difficult to solder or when things do not fit quite as they should?

• RMweb Gold

That's ok, but there are no windows in my garage!

A new place to search for all those small parts that go missing?

Does it extract the "fuming" caused when those tricky little bits become too difficult to solder or when things do not fit quite as they should?

At least you'll know in which direction to throw the sh**.  :jester:

A very pertinent topic, Dave, relating to an issue to which I am yet to find a solution.

As a paint sprayer, rather than user of the hairy stick, I find it far preferable to work outdoors. The light is much better and the fume hazard far less. Unfortunately in winter this poses a problem, with the cold having an adverse effect on paint as well as me, not to mention the wind and rain.

I did buy a small spray booth, and can rig it up to discharge through an open window, with the open space restricted to allow only the exhaust pipe out, and prevent wind and rain coming in. However the visibility with the spray booth is limited and despite being fitted with a light is far inferior to being outdoors.

I'm almost reconciled to building stuff in the winter, and painting outside in the summer. However I wonder if anyone else has any ideas, other than emigrating to California that is!

John.

A very pertinent topic, Dave, relating to an issue to which I am yet to find a solution.

As a paint sprayer, rather than user of the hairy stick, I find it far preferable to work outdoors. The light is much better and the fume hazard far less. Unfortunately in winter this poses a problem, with the cold having an adverse effect on paint as well as me, not to mention the wind and rain.

I did buy a small spray booth, and can rig it up to discharge through an open window, with the open space restricted to allow only the exhaust pipe out, and prevent wind and rain coming in. However the visibility with the spray booth is limited and despite being fitted with a light is far inferior to being outdoors.

I'm almost reconciled to building stuff in the winter, and painting outside in the summer. However I wonder if anyone else has any ideas, other than emigrating to California that is!

John.

Hi John,

The weather in the Staffs Moorlands is the main reason for my going with "the hairy stick" approach....a long wait in between good days for spray painting.

I'd be discussing a shared permanent facility with my local club (not just model railway) if I were minded towards the latter....always set up and some degree of being able to regulate atmospheric conditions in a proper facility....just a thought.

Dave

Archived