Heljan Baby Deltic: converting to EM

• RMweb Premium

I've done a Hymek and 27, which I assume use a similar mechanism. Easy enough, replace the wheels with either Black Beetle or Keen Maygib disc wheels, swapping the gears over from the Heljan axles, file the pin points on the axle and adjust the pick ups to make sure they touch the back of the wheels.

I've not em'ed a baby deltic but I've done class 26's & 47's using the oo wheels & pulling them on there axles. Don't see the point buying new wheels when the 1's on the model do the job fine. My 47 does countless laps of our club layout without issue.

Something that has just occurred to me, does the body have to come off Heljan diesels to re gauge the wheels?

Apparently it is a swine of a job to get the body on and off.

The reason I ask is, if the body does not need to come off I going to buy the DCC sound on board model.

If it does have to come off I might as well fit the decoder myself and save 40 quid.

The difficulty with body removal varies a little from model to model. But a systematic approach of working round easing out the bodysides clear of the lugs and inserting small strips of card to prevent them re-engaging makes it fairly straightforward.

You can remove the wheelsets with the body on. Sideframes slide outwards to come off, and then you have a clear sight of the clip on baseplate which retains the wheels in situ, and also access to the wipers for reforming these for the increased width.

Archived