Farewell To Arms - Locomaster Profiles DVD

HillsideDepot

• RMweb Premium

Many of us will have visited Barnetby to watch the endless procession of freight trains controlled by the wonderful array of semaphore signals, signals which are now in their final weeks of operation.

Fortunately Locomaster Profiles sent their cameras to the area and have now released a superb DVD which takes us to all the boxes in the area and will preserve these scenes for years to come.

The DVD starts with an explanation of the Absolute Block system before visiting each box in turn. In some locations narrator David Maxey explains the working, but at others the signaller themselves explain their box. I appreciate that not every signaller would want to do a piece to camera, but the professional's explanation certainly adds to the programme. At each location we see a selection of trains being signalled with shots inside and outside the box as well as a few from the lineside.

I found it a fascinating 110 minutes, and this is a DVD which will need viewing several times before everything sinks in, such is the variety and detail. But that's no bad thing, indeed it's a compliment.

One minor point which grated with me was that David Maxey quoted each train reporting number using the letter rather than using the correct phonetic alphabet. But don't let that detract from the programme, there is a lot here to enjoy and absorb.

I purchase my copy from the Locomaster web-site http://www.locomaster.co.uk/farewell_to_arms.htm and it arrived within a couple of days.

post-5204-0-70282500-1448736019.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Many of us will have visited Barnetby to watch the endless procession of freight trains controlled by the wonderful array of semaphore signals, signals which are now in their final weeks of operation.

Fortunately Locomaster Profiles sent their cameras to the area and have now released a superb DVD which takes us to all the boxes in the area and will preserve these scenes for years to come.

The DVD starts with an explanation of the Absolute Block system before visiting each box in turn. In some locations narrator David Maxey explains the working, but at others the signaller themselves explain their box. I appreciate that not every signaller would want to do a piece to camera, but the professional's explanation certainly adds to the programme. At each location we see a selection of trains being signalled with shots inside and outside the box as well as a few from the lineside.

I found it a fascinating 110 minutes, and this is a DVD which will need viewing several times before everything sinks in, such is the variety and detail. But that's no bad thing, indeed it's a compliment.

One minor point which grated with me was that David Maxey quoted each train reporting number using the letter rather than using the correct phonetic alphabet. But don't let that detract from the programme, there is a lot here to enjoy and absorb.

I purchase my copy from the Locomaster web-site http://www.locomaster.co.uk/farewell_to_arms.htm and it arrived within a couple of days.

attachicon.gifFTA cover.jpg

Bought this when it came out, and like all Locomaster DVDs found it really interesting, well produced and superb value for money - if your into signalling, like railway operations, or just want to see what the inside of the boxes looked like its highly recommended.  I would agree that the explanation of each box, together with the explanation in the intro of how signalling works is great.  Everyone will understand and enjoy this programme, whether your into signalling or not!! I certainly did!

EDIT: Sorry didn't realise this was an old post when I added my comments!  It flagged up, and thought it was a recent one!

Rich

Edited by MarshLane