Uhlenbrock 76320 Budget Decoder - Pleasantly surprised so far

In my quest to spend the least amount possible but still maintain a decent result I thought I'd risk 16 euros on the basic Uhlenbrock 76320. 

I have pretty simple needs when it comes to a decoder:

• Back-EMF.
  • Configurable CV5 (usually comes with the above but there are notable exceptions.)
  • High-frequency motor drive.
  • 4-digit addressing.

A pretty basic list eh? No advanced consisting or Railcom stuff. You'd have thought the above would all come as standard nowadays but no.

This device is working very well on this Lima chassis I'm modding for a mate. Smooth acceleration through the steps and very nice crawl. Riveting video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_jVM59WZ_8  But my most agreeable surprise has to be the two solder pads at the bottom (see photo) that my multi-meter seems to indicate are DC -ve and +ve, making the attaching of stay-alive capacitance a doddle...gonna try that out soon.  Though not for this chassis as 8 wheel pick-up is working its usual wonders.

I'd be interested if anyone has had good bad or indifferent experience with this device, not having tried it with many motor types.  My current status of "between lives mostly living in a car" means I can't get to my stored locos easily.

All the best,

post-6335-0-33598900-1448894934_thumb.jpg

Archived