Digital SLR Newbie - Help me please.

wollastonblue

Just to add my tuppence. I am a complete novice and now the owner my Dad's DSLR Canon 350D that I have started to play around with. One of the things that I have found is that having a viewfinder has helped no end with composing shots. I did as others have said and photoed loads of test shots to get an idea of how each of the settings worked. However when out take real shots I still have loads to learn. Also get the right lens if you can as I am using the standard 18-55mm lens and find it a bit limiting but am not in a position at the moment to upgrade. Stick with it as there is just sooo much info out there that but there are many here to help.

Tom.

To some extent I suppose I'm a collector. Many of them are by no means new or current. 55/3.5 Micro-nikkor, for example, or the 80-200f4.5, bought cheaply a decade ago, not least because when I bought my F Photomic in 1970 that lens was the best still zoom in the world. It still works on myDf. And my 135/f2 (MF, I did have the DC version, but didn't use it enough) was rather cheap on ebay, because the original owner was the Times newspaper, the photographer having etched the name on the sliding lenshood. The 300f4 AFS has been a stalwart for the race track down the road, as was the 80-200f2.8 AFS, although I now prefer the lighter 70-200f4 AFS. Weight matters as I get older, and moving on from the D2h to the D300s was a good day. Now the full-frame bodies weigh a little more, and so lighter lenses make even more sense. Nikon is doing a good range of lightweight primes, and the 50f1.8AFS and 85f1.8 AFS are lovely. My current avatar was taken on a 105f2 DC, attached to the Df. The pic was taken by an unknown French chap who saw the camera sitting on the cafe table in the Paddock Bar at Le Mans last year, picked it up and bingo. People like nice things.

Auto settings can work much of the time. At our recent wedding, I handed one brother my D750 set on auto, and he produced many smashing indoor pics with the ordinary 24-85 zoom using ambient light. The rest of the year he uses his iPhone like the majority these days.

Strewth Ian that takes me back. When I switched to Nikon from Pentax in 1977 I bought 4 lenses - 55 3.5 macro, 80-200 f4.5, 50 f2 & 24 f2.8

Used them on FE's & F3s until I switched to autofocus in 1999 when I sold them  - brilliant set of lenses.

These days I have a D600, 16-35 f4, 24-120 f4, 70-200 f4, 60mm macro and 80-400 - like you I find weight and issue so the last two lenses only get taken out when I know I will need them.

Regards,

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Archived