4'x5' Swithing Beginnings

I am working on pitching the idea of building a 2'x5' swithcing layout here is everything so far. I have figured in costs and just need to pitch the ideas to my parents.

[image]http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/sites/model-railroad-hobbyist.com/files/users/trainmaster247/image(114).jpeg[/img]

post-27399-0-28288200-1448984326_thumb.pngpost-27399-0-28288200-1448984326_thumb.png

Still need to go to my parents about it but here it is

It's nice to see something out of the ordinary, although I think without a run-round loop you might find yourself reaching in and shuffling stock by hand from time to time :) With two more points you can actually make a non-obvious loop: just to the left of the diamond crossing put a left turnout, and connect it to a right turnout on the topmost of the two lowest sidings. I think that would get rid of the headshunt problem Hesperus spotted.

Well, I have now finalized the design, just need to refine budgetign as much as possible and I can go to the parents wish me luck!

post-27399-0-79786900-1449245372_thumb.jpeg

Notes on what I did: added an extra leg to the runaround and swapped direction of tank car industry, now will add that to the coal dealer.

Is this N-scale? I'm worried that you may become bored with the layout as you have it in that picture--have you heard of Lance Mindheim? He's been in MR several times and has mastered the art of designing clever but realistic switching layouts. I highly recommend finding either a copy of one of his books or digging up some of the magazine articles. 

I personally think the design is a bit fantastical--It could benefit from some simplification. 

Out of curiousity are you floating this idea around any US-based forums? You'll undoubtedly find more helpful suggestions on budgetary matters there than on here. A number of general products are either priced differently in the UK, or may not be available in both North America and the UK. 

That said, I can tell you that your benchwork plans (and budget) may need to be revised. A 2'x5' cut of plywood will be insufficient--although it's unlikely this layout will have a long life, benchwork can be reused if it's well-designed and well-built. I personally went for the extremely durable option--I bought a 24"x72" piece of furniture board at Lowes. It's a higher quality wood, and is very resistant to flexing and warping. Also, it's around the right size for your project. In addition to that, I added a frame beneath the top board, out of 2"x4". The frame keeps everything nice and rigid ensures that the top board will NEVER budge. 

That said, plywood with a similar frame is 100% okay. Many layouts have been built that way. 

Whatever you do for benchwork, make sure you buy as high a quality of lumber as you can, and ALWAYS find the straightest, most unblemished boards. The same for plywood--if it's curling upwards at the store, leave it alone. It'll save a lot of woe in the future, and a good baseboard can always be recycled as tastes/goals/interests change.

If you click the link in my signature for my layout you can see exactly what I did for my similarly-sized layout. It's British but built with what's widely available here in the US. 

Quentin

Not a good idea IMHO--any cars being loaded/unloaded at the dealer will render the runaround completely useless. Runarounds are almost always kept free from that sort of thing. But if you put a long siding parallel to the runaround, that would be very effective. 

Why though, are there so many tiny spurs? That's not how railroads do it--outside of heavy industry and cramped dockside areas, that's a modeller's contrivance. Invented by modellers, then perpetuated by modellers under the impression that this was actually something the real railroads did. I do encourage you to visit Mindheim's sites: http://shelflayouts.com/ and http://lancemindheim.com/

He's posted sample track layouts and you can apply the same principles to your own layout

I was just on my way back to edit my previous post about this intriguing (and extremely simple) design, but I'll just add it here instead: http://mrhpub.com/2013-05-may/land/#/95/zoomed

Though that design may be too simple for my tastes, and probably yours as well.

I'd be happy to doodle with anyrail etc.--what's the total size of the layout, including the area you've described as storage? There may a more efficient way to use that space (or just some of it) as part of the layout. Also, what locale and what sorts of industries are you interesting in? A smallish layout like that could be designed to serve just one or two industries that see varied traffic.

EDIT: Here's something I sketched out about 2 years ago. As you can see, it's a theme and variations. I liked the track plan but had no idea what industries I wanted (one of the many reasons I never tried to actually build it). It may be useful for your purposes. I designed it using a GP9 as the "average" loco and used the longest cars I had at the time. If  you used shorter cars than what I allowed for you could shorten the layout somewhat. Right now it's 9'x18". The longest train that could arrive would have no more than 5 of them+loco, but the 5th car would have to be switched immediately because it can't fit within the runaround. Obviously there would be fewer cars on the layout at one time, they're just there to show capacity.

post-20159-0-58724400-1449451681_thumb.jpg

I used a minimum radius of 54" and Peco #8 turnouts. If I were doing it today I probably would've used #10s

Archived