Hornby SDJR Jinty

jmc1

Simplest thing with most red boxed stuff is to remove the vast majority of the existing wiring and hard wire ypur decoder of choice direct to the motor terminals and pick ups; depending on the actual arrangement the later may involve retaining one Hornby wire and doing an insulated joint to it.

Thanks for the info.  Will have a go.

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

I would like some clarification. I have this same loco and in anticipation of trying out DCC++ want to put a decoder in it.

Each of the wires from the pickups goes through a component in black sheathing, with one of them then going to the motor, the other through a cap. I don't know what the components are between the pickups and the motor or cap. The cap is hidden below the back sleeves in the image below.

Should I remove the cap when I put the decoder in? Should I remove the two mystery components? If not, should the black/red decoder wires go straight to the pickup and the orange/grey to the mystery bits, or the other way around?

I assume I can just remove all of it and attach the decoder wires directly as described above but am wondering if there is a benefit to keeping what is there.

Regards,

David.

post-1936-0-62556900-1459940590_thumb.jpg

Archived