Clerestory Roof Guards Van in S Scale

Here is one of my recent efforts, an 1898 vintage guards van in Sn3.5 scale.  It was printed by i,Materialise in their Prime Gray material in two sections.  Each section was printed on its side to avoid stepping on the curved roof.  The vertical join is disguised by the planking on the end of the body, but you can see the join on the end of roof and buffer beam where I have not patched it very well.  The last of the 4 prototypes survived until 1960.  The bogies are lost-wax castings by North Yard of New Zealand, as they had some similar vans over there.  It is currently in the paint shop.  I didn't realise it was so dusty until I took these photos, so I brushed it down with a soft paintbrush before painting.

post-17456-0-35082000-1449826463_thumb.jpg

post-17456-0-53105300-1449826502_thumb.jpg

Edited by Marbelup
  • Like 6

Hello Eddie

I am not sure what you mean.  They still don't allow sprued parts.  This model is 2 parts which are printed separately.  Apart from the added wire details, everything is printed with just the 2 parts.

Ah ok, thanks. No change then.

Very expensive if you wanted to do smaller items with several parts.

I could get the hump when I think about iMaterialise allowing choice of orientation, but not multiple or sprued parts in the same print, and Shapeways the opposite of this.

Cheers,

Eddie.

If it makes you feel any better, i.Materialise officially don't allow choice of orientation either, but they do print in the requested orientation more than 95% of the time if you ask nicely.

In their design guide, it points out the pros and cons of different orientations, then states "Our team will select the best orientation for both the surface quality and strength of your model."  Previously, it implied the designer could choose the orientation, but they amended the wording a while ago.

• 1 year later...

Hello from Dunedin New Zealand,.The van you have constructed is the type  I have been looking for for ages ,to match up with 3 carriages I have. There is nothing in kit form about these days. You are quite correct that NZR had these type of vans ,or variants of same ,usually with only one end platform and not a full length step board on the side. I googled Vans and this is how I found you. I am enquiring as to procuring the body castings (3D prints) only( I have the required wheels etc on hand) and how much it would cost for a set , Yours K.S.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello KS

Sorry for slow reply as I have not logged into RMWEB for a while. Ironically, I have been in New Zealand for a couple of weeks but in the North Island, so still a long way from you.

It would be easiest to email me via Marbelup Models web site and I will advise pricing. I am currently ordering models in Standard Resin from I.Materialise as they put their prices up for a Prime Gray.

• 1 month later...

My van "prints " have arrived in Dunedin .The local model society group were very interested in developments to seeing the project made up ,and a bit of advertising as to where it came from , that is Marbelup Models Cheers K.S

• 1 month later...

Good evening, I finally got around to making a start on my van,It took about an hour or so to strip out thesupport structures ,That was suprisingly easy although careful operation,.Getting the 2 sections together was a little tricky,the "keys" needed "adjusting" and main contact surfaces filed a little and the result is very pleasing .The  body size and  shape is an exact match to my other coaches. Next step is to get the wheels under it. K.S. P>S I am making the clerestory van in 1/64 scale as in the illustrations.

• Like 1