Okehampton has arrived...

Ian Abel

So, looks like Okehampton has beaten the other Bulleid locomotives to the post...

Following email just received from Hornby; 

Your BR 4-6-2 'Okehampton' West Country Class - Late BR pre-order has arrived, however we have been unable to process payment using the card associated with your order.

All fixed and status now shows processing!

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

A quick query over this model.

The tender carries both a TIA treatment tank and the filler cap for the BR Briquette water softening system, along with the cab-side triangle indicating its use.

I have always been under the impression that the TIA fittings were removed when the BR equipment was installed.

Does anyone know if Okehampton was an exception and, if so, how long it retained the tank after rebuilding.

John

• RMweb Gold

A quick query over this model.

The tender carries both a TIA treatment tank and the filler cap for the BR Briquette water softening system, along with the cab-side triangle indicating its use.

I have always been under the impression that the TIA fittings were removed when the BR equipment was installed.

Does anyone know if Okehampton was an exception and, if so, how long it retained the tank after rebuilding.

John

No it wasn't, I've seen photo's of others that have it - usually the early rebuilds.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry; no, it wasn't removed or no, it wasn't an exception......?

Apologies if I'm being obtuse.

John

Having re-read your earlier post, Okehampton shouldn't have the treatment tank. Some of the early rebuilds did retain the treatment tank after rebuilding (Plymouth & Barnstaple spring readily to mind), however these were removed on a later works visit and replaced with the BR system.

Easy enough to remove cleanly, as is the filler cap for the briquette feeder tube. 

Lovely pictures as usual Rob, persuaded me to buy an Okehampton, but had some difficulty as Hornby and most retailers had sold out, but success in the end. I wasn't going to get one originally, due to the glut of unrebuilts that came out at the same time. I had Bude and Exeter on order as well as the Club model of Manston, and arriving together stretched the card and the missus tolerance to the limit. Anyway I'm risking a tongue lashing and a mauling (not serious, she is very forgiving and is buying me a Silver Fox Swindon Class 120 dmu for our anniversary)

Archived