Friends,

I made a rash promise some months back to develop a "working" ATC system to go with the rather nice ramps that are now available. The principles of this are now worked out, but I find, or rather, don't find, suitable sound files. Couple of approaches, one dead cheap, the other a bit more sophisticated. When I say "working", it doesn't control trains, it makes the right noises, or would do if I could get recordings of the right noises to play back!

If anyone has found such recordings on the www, please point me in the right direction (I've looked, but no luck).

If anyone has recordings of the bell, and the hooter/siren, could they please attach them to a post, ideally as WAV or similar format files?

If any of our pals have access to the real thing, perhaps they could use a mobile phone to make some recordings??

Would be ever so grateful!

Best

Simon

The old Argo records On the footplate, on the footplate of a King, Dukedogs and the City, the ATC bell and siren can clearly be heard. The original 7" EP records appear to have been remixed into new albums.

http://www.transacord.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=42

which are available as a MP3 download. No idea if the above records are included though. The  main GW albums available here are Copper Capped Engines, and The Great Western. You may be lucky. Any RM members have these albums and can help?

Mike Wiltshire

Trains in the Night, track 5 at Princes Risborough about 1.05 sec you can hear the ATC siren go off amongst the other footplate sounds.

Hi All,

We have an ATC ramp at Didcot but the locos do not have the ATC set up. If you think about how we operate on site, it would drive the crews nuts!

That being said, we do have several ATC boxes both in and out of locomotives so, I will have an ask round to see if any of them could be jury rigged to make the noises. The bell is fairly easy as it is an electrical system but the horn is vacuum powered so will require a little thinking about...

I will have an ask for you Simon. If it works out, you can record your own!

All the best,

Castle

Castle

Thanks very much!!!

I have bought and downloaded the recommended audio but haven't had a chance to listen right through (complaints about "chuffin' locos" from other members of the family !) but this is very kind!

Would I be right in thinking that "simply" lifting the shoe of a loco (with vacuum) would set off the siren?

Best

Simon

Hi Simon,

The way it works is that the AWS ramp on the track can be either electrically live or electrically dead. If the signal is at danger, it is dead and if it is set to give the train the road it is live. This means any failure in the signal system will cause it to fail to safe. The equipment on the locomotive has a shoe arrangement that is either under the cab or under the front buffer beam, a box in the cab on the inside of the driver's side upright wall of the cab with the bell and siren and a box near the floor (usually under the screw reverser in locomotives so fitted) that contained batteries to power the whole system.

This means that there can be two states for a lifted locomotive shoe. Lifted and live and lifted and dead. If it is lifted and live, the current caused, via a relay, the bell to ring and kept a set of electromagnets energised that held a valve in the vacuum system shut. If the ramp was dead and the shoe lifted, this caused the electromagnetic valve to open and air was emitted into the system, pulling outside air through the siren and applying the brakes. There was a lever to allow the driver to mechanically override this action so that he could maintain control of the train if required. The on-board battery required careful power management so included a vacuum switch in the main power circuit that, when a vacuum was created, turned the system on. When the vacuum was destroyed, the vacuum in the switch slowly bled off and after 30 minutes, turned the system off. All in all, it was a bit clever!

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

Archived