The meniscus effect.

Dear Readers

I am creating a small creek for a EM gauge Midland Railway layout and would like to know if anyone has overcome the meniscus effect when it comes to water effects. One of the best water effects that I have seen has been on the superb Bramblewick layout by the late Tom Harland but even the masterful Tom Harland was not immune from this effect on his water. At the moment I am experimenting with roofing fibreglass resin which is quite thick and not very transparent. The creek I am modelling, see attached images, would have been quite clear in the years I am modelling it. There is a water clear casting resin that is available from East Coast Fibreglass Supplies that I think will be more suitable and you are able to add dyes to it. One way of avoiding the meniscus effect is to us glass or acrylic sheet and model the sides of the water on it having laid the material over you modelled river bed. This would probably work if you were modelling a pond but anything more complicated would be a challenge. The alternative is to use clear varnish which allot of people use but it has tendency to change colour sometimes over the years and does not set as quickly as fibreglass. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

post-10039-0-72925000-1451146023_thumb.jpg

post-10039-0-07433300-1451146027_thumb.jpg

post-10039-0-48665000-1451146070.jpg

post-10039-0-48234900-1451146239.jpg

You can avoid the meniscus effect altogether if you you avoid using deep liquid for the stream.  I made my river by concentrating/ on and experimenting with paints on a flat base, adding texture with small stones, thin plaster mix etc and then painting to get the changing shades in the water and the white froth before applying several coats of varnish.  Alternatively, if you apply overhanging vegetation to the banks after the water, it can be made to hide any meniscus.

Harold.

Hi Harold

Thanks for your reply. At the bottom of the creek the water is about 4ft deep so I could use your method of hiding the meniscus effect or I may try building the water up with thin layers of resin. I will carry out a few more experiments before I do the final job on the creek. I will post my experiments and the final results which may be of some interest to the forum.

• RMweb Premium

On Luto Hoo, I made the stream bed over width, poured the resin and then made the plaster river banks grow over the meniscus to hide it. If there was a boulder that showed the effect, then the shiny meniscus was painted out. It will always be present no matter what material you use.

Tim

Archived