DCC Help need with a new Bachmann class 45

brenn

Seasonal greetings to you all.

Well, like most I have received some shiny new locos from Santa this Christmas, however I have spent hours try to fix my Bachmann sound 44 as the cardan sharfs had both come away from the cups. The sound would work but the Loco won’t move. During this I noticed that only 2(of 4) screws in the speaker were used to secure the speaker at one end, the other 2 screws just used directly to fix the speaker box. I have now got the Loco back together and the lights don’t work but I think this should be an easy fix of bending the contact strips down a bit. However my new 45 036 has caused major problems which I would like your advice.

While trying to fit a 21 pin Bachmann chip I followed the service sheet and took of the blanking plate which came away with 3 of the solder pins. I can’t press down the DCC chip it won’t sit at all and I don’t want to force it. My question is as I wish in the future should I just persevere with this loco or is it the pain and cost of back to the Retailer/Bachmann.

Could some please post a photo of a 21 pin chip fitted to a Bachmann 45 so I may compare

Thanks

Happy new year to you all

Mike

Mike,

The 21 pin fitting will be identical to that in your sound equipped 44. From your fault description you may have a manufacturing fault on the 45. (There's been an example of another customer with a 'faulty as manufactured' 21 pin socket on a Bachmann model posted here recently.) Unless you want to go for a full DIY work around and are in confident possession of the ability to do it, I'd suggest the return to vendor course for rectification is the one to follow.

Thanks 34

I don't think i have the soldering skills to fix this and was trying to avoid the hassle of sending it back but i guess your right if i dont i'll only have problems later when i convert it to full sound.

On the subject of the 44 do you think it likely the shifts are likely to keep popping out as i a real pain to dismantle the loco to pop them back in,or should I send it back to Bachmann for replacement as it been a while since i got this loco?

Mike

On the subject of the 44 do you think it likely the shifts are likely to keep popping out as i a real pain to dismantle the loco to pop them back in,or should I send it back to Bachmann for replacement as it been a while since i got this loco?

The shafts don't normally come out in service, it was either that they were not assembled correctly in the first place, or it has been disturbed somewhere along the line. I would suggest running it and if the shafts do come out in service then send it back before trying to fix it again.

Regards

The shafts don't normally come out in service, it was either that they were not assembled correctly in the first place, or it has been disturbed somewhere along the line. I would suggest running it and if the shafts do come out in service then send it back before trying to fix it again.

Regards

The 44 being a sound fitted loco you dont hear it but since ive refitted the shafts it had a running in period with the sound off and it does sound like a bag of nails when compared with other locos and now i cant seem all to get the lights to work when i refit the body. Now I know why these sound locos were sold for £129.

Mike 

Archived