Folkestone-Dover sea wall wash-out

The last Post of Today.

My last two posts,shewed, when I arrived 1700 and then left at 1800.

Here are a sequence of shots,starting at the curve and working down the seaward line.

The landward line,has been dropped,they are ready to go back to the curve.

There are two more section's up at the curve,ready to collect and drop. They will connect to the line's in the tunnel's.

28944021542_1f24ea31fe_h.jpgP1530651 by David Todd 2012, on Flickr

28431602333_0b22a889e4_h.jpgP1530652 by David Todd 2012, on Flickr

28973186891_e18eb39d65_h.jpgP1530660 by David Todd 2012, on Flickr

28973212481_44a723fd8e_h.jpgP1530658 by David Todd 2012, on Flickr

29016439096_09535cb6ef_h.jpgP1530657 by David Todd 2012, on Flickr

29049521935_f7290352c2_h.jpgP1530633 by David Todd 2012, on Flickr

28763068030_592915bc19_h.jpgP1530671 by David Todd 2012, on Flickr

Various.

28431620103_33c6212375_h.jpgP1530639 by David Todd 2012, on Flickr

29016345636_b2bc29ef3d_h.jpgP1530670 by David Todd 2012, on Flickr

• Like 10

When we were there on Sunday, there was someone spraying the ballast with water; however, I think it was just to keep the dust down.

Lots of people recommend a water spray to wet the ballast before the squeegy bottle - it has to be a big lorry for all that glue   .....    :sungum:  :sungum:

For those of you who may have missed the method being used.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8VXZi1OeBU

Looks like 16 PEMS (lift and slew units) and 8 LEMS (under track motorised trolleys to move along the track) from David's photos and probably the Geismar (manufacturer) owned ones not the COLAS owned ones used in Oxford over the last fortnight (link to Photo posted about 10 pages back) so probably the lot used at Banbury during the blockade???

http://www.geismar.com/en/27-laying-renewal

Old video of PEMS / LEMS in action:

Edited by David Todd
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the informative updates as usual David.   Just one question, which someone may be able to answer.  How do they get the temporary track out from under the new track.  I presume that they lift the track up a bit and run the carrying units out then lift it before finally lowering the new track.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the informative updates as usual David.   Just one question, which someone may be able to answer.  How do they get the temporary track out from under the new track.  I presume that they lift the track up a bit and run the carrying units out then lift it before finally lowering the new track.

Jamie

They won't (or shouldn't) need to if they do it like this -

The new Down (shoreward) line was built on the Down further east and is taken in over the temporary track.  Once the Down Line is complete to wherever it is being completed to they reverse the process.  So the new Up Line is preassembled on the existing Up Line and the LEMs run on the new Down Line.  So, if I've got it right, the next lot of preassembly if they're going to do it this way would take place on the Up Line.

However a likely alternative is that the Up line will be built in situ with road railers to move the sleepers in - get them in position and then take the rails in to assemble the track on site.  In the meanwhile the PLUMS?PUMS?PEMS (whichever they are) can go off to their next job.  But this method assumes there's enough room on the new Down Line over the viaduct to allow the road-railers to swing with their loads - and that might be a deal breaker.

But whichever way they do it there would seem to be a need for more sleeopers and rail to be delivered to site.

But whichever way they do it there would seem to be a need for more sleeopers and rail to be delivered to site.

There are still two lengths of track on the down line both with the old  (timber ?) sleepers at the end, which should be enough. I presume as Jamie said they will lift the track and run the carrying units out. H & S may dictate they cannot remove the temporary track out from underneath, but they can walk the track sideways, remove the temporary track, walk the track back and then lower it into place.

Great pictures David.

Brian

• Like 1