Poor conductivity running over points? A brand issue?

Popsicle49

Recent running experiences with a variety of locos have me posing the following question - is there anything in the way that Dapol steam locos are made that renders them likely to falter while passing over points?  My track laying isn't exhibition standard but it's good enough for Farish old and new, Minitrix old and new, Fleischmann and Arnold to all run smoothly but two Dapol locos jerk badly crossing points.

The nuts and bolts: Peco streamline track (analogue), insulfrog points, Gaugemaster D controller, track kept clean with IPA.

I'm not the world's most technically advanced person but I am puzzled by this disparity. My Dapol A4 found a good new home and it looks like my Britannia  will go the same way; both were serviced by DCC supplies and I'm also contemplating the cancellation of my order for the Dapol Schools.  My instinct is to accept that Dapol locos don't like my layout, I don't mind as I've got enough anyway. 

Interested to hear what others have to say - is this a prob that others share?  Is there anything more to try?  etc etc

TIA

Popsicle49

im having problem's with Dapol and a n gauge class 56 i got christmas eve.It only ran 37 minutes while running it in!

I'll get it fixed elsewhere as Dapol are not intrested and get rid.That loco too did the same on point's while lima,farish an Bachmann are spot on.

I'll get it fixed elsewhere as Dapol are not intrested and get rid.That loco too did the same on point's while lima,farish an Bachmann are spot on.

That is the same problem I had, initially "Please return your model to retailer for exchange"

The replacement had the SAME issue!

I advised them I would send the model for investigation and report

This confirmed the back to back gauge was incorrect and causing the issue, plus a cost for adjustment

Dapol then agreed to meet this cost (including postage costs)

When raising (any) complaint be clear in the issue and the type of resolution you are looking for

I initially accepted their offer of return to retailer and exchange (as per Sales of Goods)

However this did not resolve the issue so the resolution was outlined by the report; adjustment

If this had failed then I would have returned to retailer for a full refund

As an aside one my earlier DC version Class 66 would not work correctly

On closer inspection I found parts were missing

Oddly they sent me the replacement parts AND instructions on how to fit them!

It is always worth checking the back-to-back of the wheels, as well as the pick-ups. Quite often, poor running can be eradicated by checking and tweaking a little as required.

I have had superb running models out of the box from both Farish and Dapol. Equally, I have had a couple of locos from both brands which needed a little fettling.

The problem mentioned above is not exclusive to one brand, so let's try to avoid the brand bashing of one manufacturer (as so frequently seems to be the case).

Archived