Signalling advice for a layout

• RMweb Gold

Hi

Would it be possible if someone could just check whether I got the signalling correct for my layout.  I appear to be having issues with signalling the station throat.  

post-7653-0-15147200-1451936814_thumb.jpg

Because there are two routes into the main platform, I presume that only one route would be accepted from the bracket signal controlling trains between Platform 1 and the Bay Platform, See option 1 below:

post-7653-0-24981100-1451936812_thumb.jpg

I presume that I do not need signals at each diverging point as per option 2 below, because that just looks plain silly!

post-7653-0-15842600-1451936813_thumb.jpg

Also, I think all the shunt signals are required, but have I allowed too many? The disc symbol with Y next to it is a yellow shunt disc.

Thanks!

You also seem to have two routes out from the main platform as well !

There is nothing to say that you can not have alternate routes, provided that you provide the appropriate signals. But do you need two? As far as I can tell this is a single-track (?) terminus, so there would be no use for the flexibility of simultaneous moves in the Bay and out of the Main platform (compare with Minehead in the post-1930s layout with double-track).

• RMweb Gold

The cross over nearest the main platform was intended to allow tender locos to run to the turntable without having to switch back on themselves. However it seems to have created a signalling complication. So it looks like I need a bracket at the end of platform 1 and to signal the station throat as per option 2.

post-7653-0-95344800-1451938754_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

After mulling over the signal diagram during a commute to Towcester, and considering Railwests comments, I've attached the revised signalling diagram.  To save a bit of space, I'll probably stack some of the signals, similar to the Hunting butts signal at Cheltenham Race Course.

post-7653-0-37853900-1452023775_thumb.jpg

It does make me wish that I selected an existing track plan!

Archived