STOKESLEY BRIDGE BR(NE) 1955-65

Dale

Once I get some more time I will work on the upside down plan. I think it has legs so let's run with it a little. Off work today thanks to Storm Wibble or what ever it's called but the gangway is open again so back to the graft tomorrow. Pity this one didn't blow a little harder, I may have had the rest of my trip off

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dale I prefer the grittiness of a semi abandoned route with the up line out of use. This plan you can only run into the up platform.

You say about keeping the public happy, I find that if a layout is built to a high standard the frequency of trains is irrelevant as the layout is what I look at.

Hope the wind doesn't strand you at work!

Hi Dale I prefer the grittiness of a semi abandoned route with the up line out of use. This plan you can only run into the up platform.

You say about keeping the public happy, I find that if a layout is built to a high standard the frequency of trains is irrelevant as the layout is what I look at.

Hope the wind doesn't strand you at work!

I too like the abandoned route and this plan still caters for that.  Its effectively the same plan but with the geography reversed.  The low ground is now on the goods yard side, meaning that the long siding is on the level.  That's a real boon for both running and operationally.  you will get a nice view into the coal cells as its now front of house and the public can get a good view of all the goods yard action.  Both platforms are still accessible as its the front road which would remain in use, as it was previously.  I assume that the platform with the main station building on it is the ?down platform? so the down line remains the single track operational line and the up line as far as the box crossover is now overgrown and used for wagon storage.

I think it should lead you into the scene a little better this way and put all the shunting right at the front where the public can see it.  It also puts the old wagons in the background, as scenic dressing instead of between the operational line and the viewing public.  I do like view blockers but a long row of wagons would prove a bit too much.  When an engine comes off the bridge it will be on a bank and so all the motion will be viewable and that's a nice shot.  A few trees around the signal box on the slope of the embankment would make that a decent view blocker from which movements would regularly disappear and reappear as the yard gets shunted.  I will have a look at dressing the scene when i get time but I am due off the rig tomorrow and on OT tonight so it probably wont be until I get home.

D.

I think the singled track option, whilst visually attractive, is much less interesting operationally. You then have what is operationally a conventional single line branch terminus with run round loop, and all arrivals and departures at platform 1. I think it would be stretching credibility too far to think that they would have re-signalled platform 2 for departures. In the double track option, the fact that all arrivals have to be in platform 2 is what makes it interesting.

On reflection, I think a more likely  (and operationally interesting scenario) is where after closure of the line beyond the level crossing, they do no modification to the signalling and interlocking at all (other than the run round crossover which does not impinge on the signal box) It is conceivable that they would not have had  the spare levers available to add interlocking and additional signals, and even more likely that they would have avoided the expense of doing so.

Now we have a situation where all arrivals are in platform 2, but all passenger trains have to be shunted across to platform 1 for departure - even DMUs. Goods trains could still be made up and depart from platform 2 if necessary.

Nevertheless, Rule 1 applies.

Right chap's, I have once again come back to a previous mentioned possibility, but with a more serious approach.  With the F/Y on, SB will be 28'long.  The option below keeps that distance but obviously add's a bit at the back.  The pretense being 'what if the line was never closed?'  B1's running through with a rake of Thompson/Gresley stock or a Q6 pulling mineral wagons slowly trundling along.  You cant tell me that doesn't sound good.  It's a serious option worth serious consideration.  Using peco track makes it affordable too (old stuff for F/Y and new bullhead for scenic sections.

post-11004-0-52111600-1455558274_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dale, I do like that through running plan. If you have the room go for it. I'd use the Helmsley road at the Eastern end scenic break. To the west you could have the trackbed of an ironstone branch, I know its not there in reality but it would make a feature.

Have you seen the North eastern railway society have done a book on the line? It will be on sale at Middlesbrough exhibition

Morning Russ,

I picked that book up at the Donny show on Saturday and it's proved very useful.  From looking at my track plan and the one offered in the book, I would be happy to say that one is pretty darn close to the other.  The big difference is the coal road which I have had to curve round.  As it stands, I think anyone viewing the layout who knew the area would recognise it.  There are now two good plans, one tailchaser and one F/Y to terminus.  Thankfully I have some time before work can begin as I have some woodwork to do for a friend.  Dont forget to look me up should you be in the area.

D.

If you go with the unmodified double track terminus version as per my last post, you could run in both terminus and through station modes as no signalling changes would be required. All you would need to have is a removable starter at the level crossing end (even just the signal arm), and add clip on buffer stops. The short length of track beyond the level crossing could be dusted with loose foliage and the rail heads could be given a quick coat of rust paint, which could be removed when running as a through station.

• RMweb Gold

I was going to say as above, makes sense as you can then do both large and small venues. I'm sure you could also make the east end accept a small fiddle yard rather than the large one when required.

Just think of the large layout and what you could run ,especially excursion traffic. Double headed B1s on a long rake of mixed LNE and mk1s the odd maroon one in there!

When I get up north I will definitely catch up with you, I'm still on a 12hr feeding tube at present but hopefully not for too much longer

Cheers

Archived