BR Continental Ferry Van

jamessolomon

I bought the Lima version of this today and read up about it but still cant understand there purpose or why youd want one on your layout. I just got it as it was unusuall item for a fiver was torn between this or a loco and went for this looks superb model for its age and goes well with my other vans i have in the small amount of freight wagons I own

• Like 1

I suspect the 'grey plugs' are part of the roof moulding.  A neat way of incorporation a different colour to the model without actually painting anything.

I would suggest having a go at fabricating the truss bars underneath, not too difficult.  Plus you could cut out the 'plugs'(that are actually sliding vent covers) trimming them so that they are slightly proud of the wooden sides.  If you look at the prototype picture you can see the light triangular frame that supports the vent cover.  Someone on the ground could reach up, unclip the frame to allow the vent cover to be moved up or down and re-secured.  In winter they were normally closed to keep the contents warm, in summer they were opened to allow ventilation to keep the interior cool.  The aperture behind the vent was covered in security mesh as the contents frequently travelled 'under customs bond' to their ultimate destination.

With a little work this 'sows ear' might make a reasonable 'purse'

For some reason I'd avoided the Lima ferry van to go with my ferry wagon fleet, but this looks interesting! Just had a quick look in my ferry wagons book and the only wagon it 'matches' is the Yugoslavian 36 tonne van shown above, these carried allsorts between the Balkans and the UK getting as far as bagged china clay from the west country, textiles from Yorkshire, and anti-knock compound from Ellesmere Port. Imported furniture and dye-stuffs for cotton mills were brought into the UK in them if any of that helps for a use for it on your layout. Will watch and see how you get on with it.

Dont often find things to add to the freight stock think total fleet is like 7 or 8 pieces dosnt even cover one track in the tmd on the back. Might post some running pics tomorrow in my tmd thread if i play with the layout in its preserved phase. If i can get my LNER V2 to stop derailing on curves then might have it pull this along with the other freight wagons. Its a nicely detailed piece from lima along with there other products i have on the layout kinda make Hornby look cheap but if you go for newer stuff from Hornby these days its kinda competing with lima quality and detail.

Edited by jamessolomon

It's a Lima model of a standard European goods van and was available in the livery of many countries. Being to H0 scale, it's not really suitable as a 4mm ferry van and AFAIK nothing like any British Railways vehicles. Built to the Continental loading gauge they don't look too much out of place however (apart from the buffer spacing).

In standard Lima fashion the ventilator shutters are part of the roof moulding and clip into the apertures in the van sides. On mine I've separated them from the roof and fixed them in position proud of the sides, rather than recessed, with a great improvement in appearance (see the photos above).

There might be mini competition.......

well I don't think you have to travel far to mine if we knock a couple up to do comparisons!

Ah the ultra rare gold chassis version clearly...

• 3 weeks later...

You wait for 1, then 3 turn up all at once!

post-9147-0-40454000-1454511181_thumb.jpg

'Interestingly', the European pair which are essentially blank vans with no discernable country of origin markings, have much finer wheels, and much better coupling mounts. The British example needs a lot more work to look acceptable and the wheels are coarser than the usual Lima pizza cutters!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I suspect the two with finer wheels and couplings could be Hornby-Lima issues rather than pure Lima. The latter were available in the livery of several nationalities, but came with standard Lima wheels* and the Lima version of the Continental loop couplings (incompatible with all the others due to height issues). The ones sold in the UK usually had the British tension lock coupling (a floppy/droopy version).

The standard livery of the prototype (in the '80s anyway when I lived in Turin) was brown in various shades (similar to BR bauxite) and often patch painted in differing tones. Black underframes except for the SNCF which favoured all over brown (cf GWR grey). A layer of muck all over of course.

Most of mine were acquired in Italy in the '80s and cost around 3000-5000 lire at the time (about a couple of quid).

* Early ones are shiny metal (the insulated wheel was often off true), later blackened (these were OK). There are also bin worthy plastic wheelsets. The metal wheelsets are very free running and it is possible to replace the wheels on the original axle to preserve this. (11.5mm diameter - 1 metre).

EDIT For finger trouble/Firefox freezing.

Edited by Il Grifone

• 6 years later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 09/01/2016 at 23:11, The Bigbee Line said:

This one is probably the closest type, if you squint a little.

A medium Van from Jugoslavia 217221910189 at Dover Town Yard.

post-2484-0-40475100-1452380963_thumb.jpg

Late to the party as ever but I've just realised that this is the type of van peeping into a 1981 shot of 37 028 waiting for the road North from Crianlarich to Fort William on the West Highland Line !

P.2 in Roger Siviter's 37s in the Highlands book.

Regards,

Ian.

• Like 1