Henschel EL 4 narrow gauge electric locos - Info. wanted.

Alex Duckworth

Hello! Are you sure that you mean a Henschel product? The EL 4 class that I know is the one built by LEW in Hennigsdorf, E Germany, from 1961 onwards. Only about 30 were built, I think. They are/were small locos designed for works systems with catenary and were not used in the brown coal industry. I am away from home right now, but as soon as I can I shall post a photo and a link or two.

Here we go! Two photos for you from my good friends in Berlin. The first is an EL 4 in the service of BEHALA (Berliner Hafen- und Lagerhausgesellschaft - municipal docks board) and the second is an EL 4 that worked on the now closed cement factory network in Bad Berka (near Weimar). She is now at the railway museum at Weimar, and the BEHALA EL 4 is, I think, exhibited at their office complex in Spandau. The BEHALA loco started life on the so-called 'Bullenbahn' in Berlin-Schöneweide, a freight tram route operated by the (E)Berlin tramways. After reunification the EL 4 was taken over by BEHALA and then withdrawn. They are lovely locos, prototypes for the so-called steeple cab electrics made by various manufacturers including Tri-Ang in the 1960s.

post-17587-0-19184500-1452778999_thumb.jpgpost-17587-0-58546500-1452778860.jpg

Well ........ Failed.

These locos seem to be counted as too big to be classed "feldbahn", although the very similar LEW EL3 does get coverage!

To be certain, you are looking at 900mm gauge,Henschel Siemens EL4, built 1948-52, which is a 'Kroko", with both bonnets bristling with multiple panto graphs?

K

• RMweb Premium

Here we go! Two photos for you from my good friends in Berlin. The first is an EL 4 in the service of BEHALA (Berliner Hafen- und Lagerhausgesellschaft - municipal docks board) and the second is an EL 4 that worked on the now closed cement factory network in Bad Berka (near Weimar). She is now at the railway museum at Weimar, and the BEHALA EL 4 is, I think, exhibited at their office complex in Spandau. The BEHALA loco started life on the so-called 'Bullenbahn' in Berlin-Schöneweide, a freight tram route operated by the (E)Berlin tramways. After reunification the EL 4 was taken over by BEHALA and then withdrawn. They are lovely locos, prototypes for the so-called steeple cab electrics made by various manufacturers including Tri-Ang in the 1960s.

attachicon.gifLok 2 derBEHALA Btf. Nalepastraße03.05.92.jpgattachicon.gifEL4 from Bad Berka at Weimar.jpg

Dear rekoboy, many thanks for the reply. Excellent photos, sadly not the right EL 4's but, as you say, lovely locos in their own right and very tempting as a modelling subject. Much appreciated.

Well ........ Failed.

These locos seem to be counted as too big to be classed "feldbahn", although the very similar LEW EL3 does get coverage!

To be certain, you are looking at 900mm gauge,Henschel Siemens EL4, built 1948-52, which is a 'Kroko", with both bonnets bristling with multiple panto graphs?

K

Dear K, that's the one. I've been able to get a few photos, one of which is so "side on" I can probably use it as the basis for a drawing, but a proper drawing or some dimensions would be very handy.

Alex.

There seem to be plenty of photos, but no drawing or dimensions to be found!

There is one preserved and used on a tourist railway, and another in a museum, though, I think, so a visit with a tape measure might be included in a holiday .......... A trick that SWMBO now "spots a mile off" when our holiday itinerary suddenly includes an isolated peat bog, abandoned ore mine etc. that we have "accidentally" stumbled upon due to "getting lost".

K

There are several surviving in preservation, including one at Berlin Technical Museum, one at TM Speyer and at least one at the Brown Coal Museum, Borken.  I have pics of the first two, but no drawings that I'm aware of.

• RMweb Premium

Hello Alex,

drawings are hard to find.

But not far away from my home town one of these locos 

is exposed on a special track.

800px-industriebahndezdu6g.jpg

So, if you are in need of some detail pics please let me know.

Kind regards

Soeren

Dear Soeren,

thank you so much for the kind offer. I would really like some detail shots of the bogies, and if possible an end on shot with the rails visible at the bottom.

Many thanks.

Thanks also to all the other respondents, I've got info enough now to get started on a build.

Alex.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hello Alex,

I couldn´t make it yet to the El 4 but within a couple of weeks I´ll get there.

Here comes the newiest release of Eisenbahn Romantik with a similar theme:

http://www.swr.de/eisenbahn-romantik/kohleabbau-in-der-lausitz/-/id=13831034/did=17023562/nid=13831034/1080g26/index.html

Kind regards

Soeren

Teriffic video, thank you.

Alex.

Archived