gwr 45xx o gauge kit

djgriff

Hi all, i am looking to buy a gwr 45xx kit as i see it i have three options JLTRT, churchward by pheonix, warren sheppard. I have built a mercian andrew barclay

and i have a half built hatchet a3.

Has anybody had experience of these kits if so i would appreciate your thoughts.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

The JLTRT and the Churchward by Phoenix are very similar beasts they were both from Malcolm Mitchell but the Phoenix one has a different chassis. I can't comment on the body as I have never built a Phoenix body kit only the Phoenix chassis. The only Warren Sheppard kits I have ever had dealings with were good bit not on a par with the other 2 offerings. On the JLTRT front you really need to add the SDK kit to bring the kit to life.

I've built a Warren Shepherd 52xx - lots of rivet pressing - and lots of lovely castings. Not built a Mitchell 45, but I'm still fighting with a King. My 45xx was a Springside cast white metal kit, which I soldered together with low-melt.

The other option is a Lionheart, RTR.

I'd happily recommend Warren's kits ( I just bought his 43xx ) and I enjoyed doing the Springside.

Yer pays yer money...

Best

Simon

I would echo SimonD's comments - Warren's kits are good,as is his service - he will always help if you have a problem. They aren't Rolls Royces, but they're still pretty good. Malcolm Mitchell's kits are good - I had a Slaters 44xx that I believe was designed by him and it was a delight to put together. The JLTRT kits are descended from Malcolm's efforts, but the comments I have had from those in the know are that they were altered once in JLTRT hands and whilst good, are not qute the same. The one thing ot watch with JLTRT kits is that you get all the bits - their record at packing kits hasn't been of the best.

Jim

I would go with Warren Shephard. I built the Springside about 4 years ago and Warren got me out of trouble with his excellent castings as my kit was a part built stalled secondhand effort.  Nothing wrong with the Springside but it is from a different era.  I think Warren's is pretty new (certainly 15-20 yrs in front of the Mitchell and its offspring) and will have benefit of computer drafting.

You will save a fair bit of money and I'll bet nobody will pick it isn't a Lionheart from normal viewing distance, never mind a Mitchell.

The JLRT one makes up into a beautiful model, 4555 has the Super Detail Kit too. Not cheap but, hopefully, the photos speak for themselves. The etchings are very accurate and the rivet detail is very nicely done, very nearly all of the rivets you see on the photos are ready etched. Modelled on the loco I saw a few times around the Midlands in the mid-60s, preserved but still in use on BR. JPL cast iron wheels and a Canon/ABC motor/gearbox. Hope this helps (or does it merely cloud the issue?....)

Jeff

post-12187-0-86495600-1453139398_thumb.jpg

post-12187-0-08530300-1453139496_thumb.jpg

Jeff

A very nice 45xx indeed. This particular one, 4555, was a favourite of mine as she worked the last steam train on the Kingsbridge branch (10th September 1963). And that evening I got to ride the footplate round the loop at Kingsbridge, which was memorable indeed!

John

Archived