GWR ATC ramps

david.hill64

The picture of a GW type ATC ramp on Dave's compulsory reading picture thread brought back old memories, but then I thought is my mind playing tricks?

Specifically I have in my memory a picture of an ATC ramp near California Crossing in Gloucester, but this was on the ex-LMS line through Eastgate and consequently signalled with boards that went the wrong way to show 'off'. Was it the case that the WR installed these on lines that they had taken over, or is my imagination at work again?

I fully expect the Stationmaster to know all!

• RMweb Gold

The picture of a GW type ATC ramp on Dave's compulsory reading picture thread brought back old memories, but then I thought is my mind playing tricks?

Specifically I have in my memory a picture of an ATC ramp near California Crossing in Gloucester, but this was on the ex-LMS line through Eastgate and consequently signalled with boards that went the wrong way to show 'off'. Was it the case that the WR installed these on lines that they had taken over, or is my imagination at work again?

I fully expect the Stationmaster to know all!

Almost inevitably I would say that it was following Gloucester resignalling - were the colour lights signals around by then at Gloucester?

Almost inevitably I would say that it was following Gloucester resignalling - were the colour lights signals around by then at Gloucester?

No in my memory it was still with the upper quadrant semaphores that were on the midland lines until resignalling. I can't remember noticing the atc ramps once the colour lights were in.

• RMweb Gold

No in my memory it was still with the upper quadrant semaphores that were on the midland lines until resignalling. I can't remember noticing the atc ramps once the colour lights were in.

That is interesting.  I know they went in with the colour lights on the Gloucester scheme but didn't realise they pre-dated it - however a wander round the 'net has also revealed one directly underneath Barton Street 'box and absolutely properly sited in relation to a lower arm distant signal.

So it would seem that at some time prior to resignalling the WR provided them either for existing distant signals or possibly as part of the resignalling work (although the latter looks very unlikely judging by the Barton St picture.

That is interesting.  I know they went in with the colour lights on the Gloucester scheme but didn't realise they pre-dated it - however a wander round the 'net has also revealed one directly underneath Barton Street 'box and absolutely properly sited in relation to a lower arm distant signal.

So it would seem that at some time prior to resignalling the WR provided them either for existing distant signals or possibly as part of the resignalling work (although the latter looks very unlikely judging by the Barton St picture.

As always Google is your friend! I found a picture of California Crossing showing an ATC ramp on the up line approaching Barton Street Crossing. The semaphore on the High Orchard branch is still in place.

Thanks for your help.

Archived