The Oak Hill Branch - LBSCR / SECR 1905ish - New layout starts on page 129

• RMweb Premium

At the ALSRM show at Reading a couple of weeks ago, there was a marvellous layout using live steam, of the D & H, called Indian Hill. I thought it captured a feel for India really well, even if I've never been there

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

That's it, really good modelling to get the "feel" and in live steam, too.

Edit: I looked at the model, and thought it would nice to do that, smaller scale, and electric rather than steam, looks fun, but then I realised it was another tempting idea I couldn't take on as well as the other stuff I'm doing. Oh well...

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I've been spending money again!

I have got myself some carriages from a Facebook selling site. They are made from the the Tri-ang clerestories and were very reasonably priced.

The only problem is while I am reasonably sure of what they are and what I want to do to improve them and repaint, I am not 100% does anyone want to have a go at identifying them for me, and much more importantly can anyone provide some prototype pictures!!

So here we have my latest additions:

post-22762-0-45537100-1495736543_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-30588300-1495736547_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-89851800-1495736550_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-65858000-1495736554_thumb.jpg

So please do let me know, as I'm sure some of you will!

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed,

Gary

• Like 5

Guest Midland Mole

Well I cant shed any light, but they do look nice. Good find :)

Alex

Edited by Midland Mole

I have got myself some carriages from a Facebook selling site. They are made from the the Tri-ang clerestories and were very reasonably priced.

The only problem is while I am reasonably sure of what they are and what I want to do to improve them and repaint, I am not 100% does anyone want to have a go at identifying them for me, and much more importantly can anyone provide some prototype pictures!!

carriage1.jpg

carriage2.jpg

carriage3.jpg

carriage4.jpg

Gary

Are they an LSWR push-pull set as per the MRC many years ago?

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Jim

That is what I think they are. However not being an expert on the LSWR I am not sure. I also only have the LB&SCR and SE&CR articles so I can't compare them!!

Gary

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Sarah

The SEMG website says set 729 is an ex-LBSCR arc roof Push Pull set, however I am not convinced of this and I think the builder used whatever transfers were available, the carriages are numbered 234 and 789 the correct numbers for set 729 are: 3826 and 6202.

Gary

attachicon.gifcarriage1.jpg

attachicon.gifcarriage2.jpg

attachicon.gifcarriage3.jpg

attachicon.gifcarriage4.jpg

Gary

I agree and vote LSWR for these, though I suspect that the roof profiles should be semi-elliptical, not arc.

I believe they are SR conversions made 1926-1930.  The driving coach is an ex-block set Brake Third. The block sets were built 1902-1912 but, upon electrification, they were converted to electric stock or converted to push-pull sets, including some by the LSW.  This is a later SR conversion with the sheeted end and the look-outs removed and replaced by a side drop-light for the driver.

The trailer coach of your set is clearly a composite - see the difference in compartment widths - which leads me to think it is one of the Victorian 50' Composites used by the Southern to form these sets.

I need to pull out a book or two and compare your pictures with the drawings, but I suspect I will discover that your coaches represent these ex-LSW conversions.

They are very nice (and no doubt more accurate than the forthcoming Gatestock (which, it seems, are quite a can of worms: http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20121&st=30,   http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20121&st=45,   http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20121&st=90http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20121&st=135(!) and so very much best avoided)!!!!!

So I would stick with these ex-Tri-ang beauties!

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 2

attachicon.gifsmall lbsc.jpg

Railway modeller 1966 a series of articles by Terry Gough. I used them to build the Brighton push pull set in the picture.

CAT

You can tell by this post slightly earlier in the thread that I can tell you what they are. They are a rather good attempt at a Brighton Pull-push set You should compare them with the Railway Modellers you already have to see what you need to do to improve. The RM versions are reasonably close to the Brighton open corridor ( corridor but no compartment doors) Brighton units. PM me for more details if you need.

CAT 

• Like 3

You can tell by this post slightly earlier in the thread that I can tell you what they are. They are a rather good attempt at a Brighton Pull-push set You should compare them with the Railway Modellers you already have to see what you need to do to improve. The RM versions are reasonably close to the Brighton open corridor ( corridor but no compartment doors) Brighton units. PM me for more details if you need.

CAT 

Interesting.  Would that make sense of the roof profile?

Of course, as a Southern Railway conversion, it would not be surprising, perhaps, to see ends very similar to those added to ex-LSWR stock.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I agree and vote LSWR for these, though I suspect that the roof profiles should be semi-elliptical, not arc.

I believe they are SR conversions made 1926-1930.  The driving coach is an ex-block set Brake Third. The block sets were built 1902-1912 but, upon electrification, they were converted to electric stock or converted to push-pull sets, including some by the LSW.  This is a later SR conversion with the sheeted end and the look-outs removed and replaced by a side drop-light for the driver.

The trailer coach of your set is clearly a composite - see the difference in compartment widths - which leads me to think it is one of the Victorian 50' Composites used by the Southern to form these sets.

I need to pull out a book or two and compare your pictures with the drawings, but I suspect I will discover that your coaches represent these ex-LSW conversions.

They are very nice (and no doubt more accurate than the forthcoming Gatestock (which, it seems, are quite a can of worms: http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20121&st=30,   http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20121&st=45,   http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20121&st=90http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20121&st=135(!) and so very much best avoided)!!!!!

So I would stick with these ex-Tri-ang beauties!

Thanks James,

Most useful as always. I was unaware of the controversy surrounding the LSWR gate stock. It can't just be me that expects RTR manufactures to get things right!!

CAT 

Hi CAT.

Thanks for your reply, following you earlier post I did get copies of the LB&SCR and SE&CR articles. I do not however have the LSWR ones. I didn't think they matched any in the ones I have which is one of the reasons for thinking they are LWSR. I would be very happy to learn however that they are LB&SCR, if you have information to this end please do PM me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Gary

• Like 1

Interesting.  Would that make sense of the roof profile?

Of course, as a Southern Railway conversion, it would not be surprising, perhaps, to see ends very similar to those added to ex-LSWR stock.

I fail to understand this. The Brighton were (Other than "Balloon" stock) predominantly an arc roof railway when it came to coaches. Having said that the Southern adopted several several Brighton traits in its Pull-push stock the air control and the four window end.

CAT

• Like 1

I fail to understand this. The Brighton were (Other than "Balloon" stock) predominantly an arc roof railway when it came to coaches. Having said that the Southern adopted several several Brighton traits in its Pull-push stock the air control and the four window end.

CAT

Therefore, the answer you surely intended to give was "yes, it does make much more sense, because, other than 'Balloon' stock, the Brighton was predominantly an arc roof railway". 

To which I would have replied, "yes, that does indeed make sense, because by the time the coaches converted by the SR had been built, the LSW had gone firmly over to semi-elliptical roofs, whereas Gary's models look arc-roofed to me".

Alles klar?  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The coach numbers indicate 234 as ex LSW 48' third of 1894, withdrawn 1938, and 789 as a third built by SR, so these are a mystery. The set number 729 was originally allocated to a set of 14 four wheelers off the LCDR. There were a series of arc roof two coach push pull sets built by the LBSC from 1909 onwards for branch and local services such as Brighton Worthing, some of which had compartments arranged rather like your two. In 1937 some of these sets 981- 997 were renumbered to 714- 730, and I fancy this is what you're looking at, maybe with slight variations to fit what he was making them out of. They ain't a bad effort, stick with them, but not behind that 33, please.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Northroader,

My original assumption was the post-1937 re-number for the sets. The carriage numbers are single transfers so I assume they were just cut of the sheet by the original builder to make them look right with no intention of trying to line up multiple transfers. The 729 is also a single transfer which made me dubious as to weather that was accurate as well. From information given both here and via PM I believe that this is a nice attempt at ex-LB&SCR stock that will need a bit of work that I feel I can manage so they will get a look at soon.

And they will never go anywhere near the 33!!!

Gary

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I hadn't spotted the coach numbers ran sequentially, I think you're right about that. They had gangways between them, but they have been quite well made, and could turn up on locals and branches anywhere south of Crystal Palace.

• Like 2

I sent the above when I was away for a few days in Arran.  Now I'm back home I have dug out the two coaches (yes, I still have them from my Hornby Dublo days in the mid-'60's!).

The set is numbered 726 and the coach numbers are S3821S for the driving brake third and S6245S for the compo.  The latter only has 2 1st class compartments as opposed to the 4 in these ones.  I'm pretty sure I would have taken these numbers from the MRC article (c1966/7?).  Perhaps someone of a Southern disposition can shed more light.    I never did get round to converting the Hornby R1 into an 0-4-4T to make the set complete!

Jim

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Funny you should mention and 0-4-4T Jim!!

As Oak Hill seems to have moved into the early Southern era for a very short while. With a visiting engine on trials with a PP set!!

post-22762-0-83408800-1495899126_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-31761800-1495899130_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-83148000-1495899133_thumb.jpg

FOr those that are worried by all these non-LB&SCR locos appearing recently the good news is, (LSWR fans look away now!!) this M7 is due to become an LB&SCR D1 in the near future! It will be number 27 in Improved Engine Green as per the Uckfield MRC logo!

I think I need to stop spending money and get on with some modelling again soon!!

Gary

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

This week I have been playing with some ideas for a low-loader to pose my 009 stock on for photos until I have a layout for them.

I have 2 options for the wagon at the moment. Both are Tri-ang wagons, there is the 8 wheel well wagon and the 12 wheel well wagon used with the battle space sets. My idea is to cut away the middle of the wagons so that I can sink the tracks into them so the railhead sits where the existing top of the well is. I will then fill in the top giving a solid base surrounding the track.

The question is which wagon does everyone think would work better for this purpose??

8 Wheel:

post-22762-0-50523000-1496137826_thumb.jpg

12 Wheel:

post-22762-0-31846900-1496137831_thumb.jpg

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

This week I have been playing with some ideas for a low-loader to pose my 009 stock on for photos until I have a layout for them.

I have 2 options for the wagon at the moment. Both are Tri-ang wagons, there is the 8 wheel well wagon and the 12 wheel well wagon used with the battle space sets. My idea is to cut away the middle of the wagons so that I can sink the tracks into them so the railhead sits where the existing top of the well is. I will then fill in the top giving a solid base surrounding the track.

The question is which wagon does everyone think would work better for this purpose??

8 Wheel:

attachicon.gif8wheel.jpg

12 Wheel:

attachicon.gif12wheel.jpg

Gary

The 12-wheeler looks OTT for the likely weight of narrow-gauge stock. The L&B 2-6-2Ts were quite big for British NG but weighed in at 27 1/4 tons - trolleys like your 8-wheeler seem to have been rated at 30 tons plus (looking at Midland and LNWR examples) so more than adequate. Some examples of NG stock loaded on low-loaders in Midland Wagons show a couple of rails held to gauge with wooden blocks and wedges. You could just strip the rail out of the sleepers and glue it directly to the deck of the wagon with some odd bits of plasticard or whatever to represent the wooden blocks - saving major surgery on the wagon. Midland Wagons also has photos of similar wagons loaded up with parts of a NCC 4-4-0 (Irish gauge so it couldn't be towed) - wheels/axles packed separately to keep things within the loading gauge! There were also some wagons specifically for tramcar traffic - that would make an interesting load! Presumably for double-deckers, the top half travelled separately too?

• Like 2