The Oak Hill Branch - LBSCR / SECR 1905ish - New layout starts on page 129

• RMweb Premium

MRJ has always had articles describing modelling of the very highest quality but for me the really inspirational stuff is in the early numbers under Bob Barlow's editorship: Chris Pendleton, Chris Crofts, and of course the inimitable Iain Rice. Maybe it's just that both the Journal and I were younger then.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I shall make sure to go through the early ones soon then. Although if you want to talk younger then I must add that the earliest issues are older than me!!!!!

Gary

Well, that's encouraging news for the hobby!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

There is a younger demographic in the hobby, although 3 kids and an ex-wife mean I don't feel particularly young any more!! But I do know quite a few serious modellers of my age and younger, however most are not members on RMWeb and keep their modelling to themselves.

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 2

There is a younger demographic in the hobby, although 3 kids and an ex-wife mean I don't feel particularly young any more!! But I do know quite a few serious modellers of my age and younger, however most are not members on RMWeb and keep their modelling to themselves.

Gary

What do they model?  '50s-'60s, for convenience (it can't be nostalgia), or Blue Dieseasels?  Or have they chosen the path of Beauty and Enlightenment, like you?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

There are a couple of modern imagers, some modelling the grouping companies and a pre-grouper. We won't go on about the one who models whatevert is pretty!!! His layout currently has an umber E4 and a BR green 2-BIL running around!!!! None of them model any form of BR!!!

No other LB&SCR modellers either :(

• Like 1

There are a couple of modern imagers, some modelling the grouping companies and a pre-grouper. We won't go on about the one who models whatevert is pretty!!! His layout currently has an umber E4 and a BR green 2-BIL running around!!!! None of them model any form of BR!!!

No other LB&SCR modellers either :(

Better than I'd hoped!  Groupers will do!  I like the Grouping era, though my modelling plans in that era are largely restricted to the Great Western, so I essentially remain wedded to pre-Grouping companies!

As for the others, - HERESY ALERT! HERESY ALERT! - well, I do like lined Maunsell Green, and, black lined green isn't bad.  I'm not sure the LNER and LMS are really to be preferred to their predecessors, however. I always think North Western locomotives look best in North Western black, and I am not a fan of unlined black locomotives.  The Midland engines are obviously intended to look good in crimson, but the LMS livery cannot improve on what they wore before.  So, the best I think the LMS can offer is Great Western style engines in crimson. That said, Bachmann's Lanky Tank looks good in crimson. Too many black engines on the LNER too, I am not sure LNER green offers any advantages over GN green, and I miss the greens, brown and blue of the other constituents.

But, seriously, I'd like to see more Grouping and Pre-Grouping colour see the light; get 'em on here!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

But, seriously, I'd like to see more Grouping and Pre-Grouping colour see the light; get 'em on here!

I have tried!! Honestly I have!! One of them is also a driver for South Eastern and is embarking on a rather nice exhibition layout at the moment. His life revolves around trains. He is on YouTube, Facebook and Twitter as DadRail, but none of his own modelling is on there and I haven't managed to convince him to join RMWeb to show it off either!!

With the attitudes at club I feel I should not own up to owning any GWR locos, but I do!! not many but they do look good!!!! Most of the people I know the modelling activities of are people from the local model shop, which means there is a strong lean towards the southern companies.

As for more pre-grouping on here there is a great SECR modeller at club who I know reads this!!!! He however is not a member of RMWeb which I think is a real shame!!!!! and he should join us and post his modelling here!!!!!!!

Gary

• Like 2

I have tried!! Honestly I have!! One of them is also a driver for South Eastern and is embarking on a rather nice exhibition layout at the moment. His life revolves around trains. He is on YouTube, Facebook and Twitter as DadRail, but none of his own modelling is on there and I haven't managed to convince him to join RMWeb to show it off either!!

With the attitudes at club I feel I should not own up to owning any GWR locos, but I do!! not many but they do look good!!!! Most of the people I know the modelling activities of are people from the local model shop, which means there is a strong lean towards the southern companies.

As for more pre-grouping on here there is a great SECR modeller at club who I know reads this!!!! He however is not a member of RMWeb which I think is a real shame!!!!! and he should join us and post his modelling here!!!!!!!

Gary

Gary

He should!

I've no patience with GWR bashing.  If you prefer other companies, model them and be happy enough in your choice not to feel the need to criticise another's.  

The GW was my first, and may prove my most enduring, enthusiasm, but I am attracted to all pre-Grouping companies.  After all, my first layout is freelance/Great Eastern!  Whenever I read more into other companies, I find to know them is to love them.  If people want to get partisan, they should give up railway modelling and stick to being football supporters.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Gary

Gary,

SECR would be welcome.  I know it is not the LCDR but it has at least two letters correct.  I assume though, and your friend will either have to join to reply or tell you the answer, that it is all Wainwright locos and coaches of a later period.  I am not going to allow myself to be diverted but I may buy LCDR axleboxes from Chris Cox.  I also note on his old web site that he had two LCDR wagons.  If he still has them then there will be even more traffic from Kent to mid Wales

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Chris,

Yes the SE&CR was very much SER influenced with little input from the LC&DR although I can ask as he will know.

As for Chris Cox the LC&DR wagons are on the price list I have so I guess they are still available!

Gary

• RMweb Gold

Gary,

Thank you.  I was only looking at his list in the digest.  I will need a horse box as well.

I have a Brougham from Langleys which I have managed to break a wheel off.  The thought of trying to solder whitemetal when I am not practised at brass brings me out in spots.  I had thought of having it outside the station with a man looking at it with the wheel off and scratching his head but if it was on the carriage truck, either I could glue the wheel to the truck and the shaft, or it could just be broken.  Mind you we might need Edwardian in to sort out the legal liability.  Was it the LB&SCR when loading, the GWR/LNWR when moving it, the Cambrian as the final mover, or the owner for sending a worn out coach so that it would break and he could get compensation?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Chris Cox has the Woodham Wagon Works mouldings for an 1850's Brighton horsebox! Once that is back on the market that could make an interesting addition to your Brighton stock! I know I will be getting one!!

That sounds like an interesting legal case. So many parties that could be responsible and most likely no evidence as to who did it!! I must get some road carriages and horses at some point, hopefully I can avoid any court cases getting them to Oak Hill!!

Gary

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Chris Cox has the Woodham Wagon Works mouldings for an 1850's Brighton horsebox! Once that is back on the market that could make an interesting addition to your Brighton stock! I know I will be getting one!!

That sounds like an interesting legal case. So many parties that could be responsible and most likely no evidence as to who did it!! I must get some road carriages and horses at some point, hopefully I can avoid any court cases getting them to Oak Hill!!

Gary

Gary,

That is also very interesting.  I assume it was still around in 1895 if you are going to get one ten years later.  The three vehicles will make an interesting extra from time to time.  I will now have to think of a reason for them coming and who it is who is in them.  Don't tell MR Price as Trath Mawr has no facilities to unload carriage trucks.

I will try and not take up any more of your thread.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I have no problem with you taking up the thread Chris, we are after all discussing important LB&SCR matters!! I'm sure the lord of the manor at Oak Hill needs a holiday somewhere. Why not head off to the Cambrian coast?

I don't know if the horse box would have still been around in 1905 but I'm not one to let facts get in the way of a good model!!

Gary

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I have no problem with you taking up the thread Chris, we are after all discussing important LB&SCR matters!! I'm sure the lord of the manor at Oak Hill needs a holiday somewhere. Why not head off to the Cambrian coast?

I don't know if the horse box would have still been around in 1905 but I'm not one to let facts get in the way of a good model!!

Gary

Gary, if you could let me know who this gentleman is, and the name of his wife and maybe children it would be very useful.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hmmmm names....... now there is a good question. I can tell you that he has a wife 2 daughters and a son.

Although judging by the figures I have for them in 1905 I think 1 daughter and the son may not yet have been born in 1895!!

Gary

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Gary,

Is the third one old enough to be ten?  Children turned up very quickly after marriage in those days.  If you have figures then maybe a picture would do.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

These are the upper class figures I have Only 1 is planned to not be part of the family.

post-22762-0-70721500-1498084232_thumb.jpg

From left to right:

Son - Wife - Husband - Not family - Daughter 1 - Daughter 2

Governess

The one that is not part of the family may find her way in somehow possibly a nanny or similar?? would they have been that smart??

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 3

These are the upper class figures I have Only 1 is planned to not be part of the family.

attachicon.gifupperClass.jpg

From left to right:

The one that is not part of the family may find her way in somehow possibly a nanny or similar?? would they have been that smart??

Gary

It was a common practice that Nanny's were well dressed as this, to some extent, reflected on the household itself.  She could of course be a Governess instead!

Edited by Adams442T

• RMweb Gold

It was a common practice than Nanny's were well dressed as this, to some extent, reflected on the household itself.  She could of course be a Governess instead!

Thanks I did think that may be the case. She shall find her way onto the staff.

Gary

• Like 2

attachicon.gifupperClass.jpg

From left to right:

Gary

I suggest that she would either be a Ladies Maid or Governess.

post-25673-0-81900500-1498115030.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks James,

Sounds like a plan. The question is which one would be most likely to be with the family when they are travelling? After all they are at the station so must be heading somewhere.

Gary

Thanks James,

Sounds like a plan. The question is which one would be most likely to be with the family when they are travelling? After all they are at the station so must be heading somewhere.

Gary

Well, I'm quite wedded to First/Second Composites, so that, specifically, families such as this could travel with servants. Presumably the Governess would travel with the children in First Class, I assume, with Ladies Maid and Footman on Second, or Third.

So, who could the Lady of the house best do without, her personal servant or someone to look after the children for her?

• Like 2