Marking posts as read

I have an occasional issue that the site seems to forget that I've read all but the last few posts of a thread. Then, when I try to go to the first unread post, it takes me instead to the first post. I'm logged in the whole time and other threads continue to function normally.

This is an intermittent matter. I never know what thread it's going to affect. Sometimes it keeps affecting the same thread. Sometimes it happens once and once only for a particular thread. It happened this evening on PGH's Moving Coal. It has happened recently on Ron Heggs' Manchester Central, and on queesnsquare's Tucking Mill.

A search here came up with a suggestion for marking the entire community as read, but I don't want to do that because I'm catching up on threads I follow. Really, if I could just mark the particular thread as read, so that it could go back to displaying normally, that would be great. Is there a way to do that?

Thanks,

Alan

It just happened to me with Jon Fitness' average 7mm signals workbench which I was in the middle of - so going straight to the last page isn't going to help.

Does anyone know do the moderators look in here from time to time or should I be flagging the issue to them somewhere else?

Alan

I've just seen the topic. It could be cookie related as these 'remember' what you have and have not read and they can go awry when you've had a browser software update. I would suggest deleting any RMweb related cookies from your browser's cache, login again and see if it improves matters.

Thanks. If I delete the cookies, does that delete the site's knowledge of what I've read? If so, can I mark threads as read so that I don't reset everything, and how? (I'm a bit unclear whether hitting 'go to first unread post' in a thread takes me to the end, if I've read the preceding page or two, or takes me to the earliest post that I haven't read or that the site thinks I haven't read.)

I've just checked my preferences and I have 21 rmweb cookies. Some have very similar names. Should I delete all or just some particular ones? I'm browsing on Firefox, if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance,

Alan

If you delete the cookies it will still remember what you've read and haven't as that's stored in the database tables. Delete all of the RMweb cookies and sign in again.

(I'm a bit unclear whether hitting 'go to first unread post' in a thread takes me to the end, if I've read the preceding page or two, or takes me to the earliest post that I haven't read or that the site thinks I haven't read.)

It will take you to the first unread post on whichever page that may be.

• RMweb Gold

I use the "New since my last visit" view almost all the time and it works for me.  I have my browser set to remove cookies when I close it since I do not like unnecessary code hanging around.  I have tried using the "go to first unread post" button but most of the time I ended up at the last post rather than just after where I was actually up to so I gave up using that.

I wouldn't read everything new on each visit. I just pick a thread that I follow that I haven't read for a while and catch up on it, so your approach wouldn't work for me, but it's certainly an approach.

I had a recurrence of the problem yesterday even after clearing cookies, so this may not be concluded just yet.

Andy, if it happens again, I'll try another cookie clear and then if it's still a problem I might post again to see if there's anything else I can do.

Alan

• 4 months later...

Archived