You all have the advantage over me.

I never did decode the radio dial, or the menu at the Thai restaurant for that matter. As an engineer, I find numbers easier for both purposes, although they do throw up surprises: propaganda broadcasts from totalitarian states; strange fish, cooked in sauces that you never knew existed, that sort of thing.

• Like 1

Bringing back (limited) memories of a rather wild night out in Cheltenham ... ooh, must be twenty years ago. Scrummaged a Citreon 2CV ... almost had a taxi door taken off whilst opening it ... and ended up serving a meal to a friend that included his clothing.

Now how am I reminded of this I hear you ask (don't I ... or am I hearing the voices again?).

Well, after a few beers we ended up going for a curry. Except my friend wanted to go for a Thai meal and wouldn't shut up about it. So he got a Thai meal. Daft ###### made the mistake of leaving several items of clothing behind when he went to the loo ... and when he came back he was rather surprised to find that his tie had been stuffed full of curry and deposited on his plate.

How were we meant to know that it was a limited edition rugby club tie?

Think that may have been the same evening that his phone got dropped in a pint of beer because he'd left it on the table with his wife still on the other end but my memory's a bit hazy on that ...

Edited by Branwell

You're "NOT LOCAL" are you?

[ :offtopic: I'm getting ready for Royston Vasey reappearing on Monday night. Wife used to teach there before we were married.]

dh

"Shall we take David to the Freak Show?"

"No, he'll only frighten them"

On the subject of Davids, for years we had an old Landrover we called "Dave", as in ...

"Hello Dave.  You're my wife now!"

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A friend's girlfriend was introduced to me as Dave when I first met her, and Dave she remains (although she has now moved on.) What was more confusing was she was actually a Bill (as in Kimberly)....

Andy G

• Like 2

Gents

Live radio alert ....... there is a fascinating programme on R4 right now, about African American and African music in Europe c1900-WW1. Quite amazing recordings of pre-jazz made in London in the Edwardian era, plus a lot of other interesting things. Certainly a different light on what the Edwardians were up to.

Bound to be on iPlayer later. It's part of a series called 'Black Music in Europe'.

Kevin

Edited by Nearholmer

Gents

Live radio alert ....... there is a fascinating programme on R4 right now, about African American and African music in Europe c1900-WW1. Quite amazing recordings of pre-jazz made in London in the Edwardian era, plus a lot of other interesting things. Certainly a different light on what the Edwardians were up to.

Bound to be on iPlayer later. It's part of a series called 'Black Music in Europe'.

Kevin

Thanks, Kevin.

I'll catch up on Iplayer.  I was listening to R3, as I tend to switch channels at 10am, and I don't always tune back before World At One.

Today, I just had time to hear Coronation Scot before the Mem went onto an 11 O'clock concall.

Of course, it's the school holidays, so much of the day I am listening to the Smallest Small singing numbers from Matilda.    

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

As a child I used to find when Christmas day followed immediatley after a weekend most frustrating. School had ended parents were off work but it was all focused on Christmas day. You couldn't make a mess as Mum was in panic cleaning mode  and you were hoping there was something really interesting in the presents and couldn't wait to get at it. 

Don

• Like 2

You have mothers to a ‘t’.

SWMBO intends/expects/requires/mandates that self and offsprings keep the house simultaneously festive, clean, neat and tidy, for a whole seven days ......... somewhere under seven seconds is our previous best, so this is something of a challenge!

“If Father Christmas is allowed to wear his wellies in the sitting room, why can’t I?” Good question.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Father Christmas live just up the road from us. I meet him often (out of uniform ) walking the dogs but he is busy doing his stints on the West Somerset Railway. The white beard is genuine but the Black country acent see a little ingongruous perhpas he has a posh voice when all dolled up in the red suit. 

Don 

• Like 2

Father Christmas live just up the road from us. I meet him often (out of uniform ) walking the dogs but he is busy doing his stints on the West Somerset Railway. The white beard is genuine but the Black country acent see a little ingongruous perhpas he has a posh voice when all dolled up in the red suit. 

Don 

Ho, ho, ho?

post-25673-0-75719400-1513704735_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

xmas-card3.jpg

and dreamt that 2018 will see a train arrive at Castle Aching

hope however you choose to indulge its better than this poor chaps 

Nick

He should have gone to one of the Midland's hotels, run by the redoubtable Mr William Towle - a superb example of nominative determinism!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I have high hopes that we will see a train arrive at Castle Aching this year at least the contractors train as the track laying proceeds.

My best wishes to one and all who participate in this most excellent thread and most particularly our host.

Don

• Like 4

Very merry Christmas to one and all.

Thank you all for your contributions to the topic.

30 January 2018 will be the second anniversary of this topic, hence of Castle Aching.  Will there be a train running by then?

I don't know, but I hope so!

Thank you all for your continued support, it is very much appreciated.

I hope you all have a very enjoyable and productive break.

• Like 1