• RMweb Gold

Also lots f examples on the GE in Suffolk: Aldeburgh, Hadleigh, etc, in fact, plenty all over the country.

If you something a bit more iron than brick and slate, Joueff used to produce a suitable candidate which I used in my 4mm days, minus the glass screens along the side which looked too continental:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JOUEF-QUAI-ET-VERRIERE/322908943150?hash=item4b2edf732e:g:QDwAAOSwLYBaHUrI

• Like 2

As a starter for ten, here’s the Waterford terminus, featuring loco no.1:

attachicon.gif0548C92B-057F-47FC-906D-94782E5372BE.jpeg

Taken from here - http://irishrailways.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/yet-another-railway-backwater-waterford.html

I’ll stop spamming now :-)

Oh, how wonderful.  Who would not want to model the Waterford & Tramore?

post-25673-0-21676100-1512505228.jpg

post-25673-0-98842900-1512505244.jpg

• Like 6

Also lots f examples on the GE in Suffolk: Aldeburgh, Hadleigh, etc, in fact, plenty all over the country.

Good choice.

Don't tell anyone, but Aldeburgh is intended to be the basis for Achingham. 

The prototype is 1860s, which fits with it being built after the mainline from Castle Aching.  It offers a contrast in architectural style, whilst maintaining a train shed!  Unlike Aldeburgh, Achingham will also terminate with a TT to form the run round.

This time, I plan to model it from the station yard elevation.  Which will make uncoupling even more interesting.

post-25673-0-31864700-1512506510.jpg

post-25673-0-45206700-1512506515.jpg

post-25673-0-38804200-1512506525.jpg

post-25673-0-85007200-1512506540.jpg

post-25673-0-72727000-1512506554.jpg

post-25673-0-73585500-1512506565.gif

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Welcome back.

On topic apology! So, we are looking for a suitable 1850s train shed as a basis for Castle Aching.

Obviously train lengths can exceed the train shed, but I do think the original intent would have been to accommodate a short train of the period, and for the train shed to double as a carriage shed for one or two sets of 4-wheel coaches.  It is still used as such for the Achingham branch set, and, needs to be a good 18" in order to achieve this.

I have not, however, considered the length of prototype train sheds at rural termini before, so my sole point of reference is Ashburton (which I think is early 1870s, so c.15 years or so later than CA), the timber train shed of which was about 80', IIRC, and, so, would scale out at around 12 1/2". 

We need to consider the style.  I assume pitched roof and perhaps the roof trusses should be timber, rather than cast iron?

Where the front wall of the shed is not overlapped by the engine shed, we could have a fine masonry wall.  This could be punctuated by a window opening or an arched opening down to ground level. 

Alternatively, the construction here could be by way of stout timber posts.  These could be clad with horizontal boards, or, my preference, left open, so that the viewer might see something of the platform elevation of the station building or the train at the platform.

I was once rather taken by this canopy at (unrebuilt) Lewes.

Some fascinating pointwork there too!

Edit - posted before reading Donw's post #6379.

Edited by St Enodoc

Callington had an interesting 'modern' train shed, dating from c1900, which I sometimes get tempted by, because small train-sheds didn't generally last very well on the southern lines, but are very interesting. The LBSCR had a thing for funny little ones over bay platforms, where I guess they acted as overnight carriage sheds for the branch train, but I think Three Bridges was the only long-survivor.

Notice use of the word 'direct' to mean 'circuitous' on the signboard!

Below is Reading SER, photo 'public domain' from Wikipedia.

post-26817-0-48287400-1512508806.jpg

post-26817-0-90836900-1512509277_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 5

Not remotely Norfolk, but quite widespread at various sizes of LNWR station this train shed design provides visibility (the upper glass panels) and access for your shunter's pole to unhook the three link (the lower bit with just cast iron pillars) There is an excellent set of measured drawing in Jack Nelson's LNWR Portrayed.showing everal different varieties.

post-14208-0-55851400-1512512777_thumb.jpg

post-14208-0-99349400-1512512799_thumb.jpg

Edited by webbcompound
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Callington had an interesting 'modern' train shed, dating from c1900, which I sometimes get tempted by, because small train-sheds didn't generally last very well on the southern lines, but are very interesting. The LBSCR had a thing for funny little ones over bay platforms, where I guess they acted as overnight carriage sheds for the branch train, but I think Three Bridges was the only long-survivor.

I think that was a bit before my time. When I knew it it had two platforms each with two faces. With mostly black moguls and the electrics it lacked the glamour of the adjacent GWR station with Kings and Castles speeding through. However in its early days it would have been different with the LSWER and SER/SECR liveries.

Don

• Like 2

My, oh my! This thread moves at a speed!

Son tells us to be sure to watch "Motherland" and by the time I return it has moved a couple of pages on trainsheds with some delightful examples.

I went the other way and browsed early 1900s military stuff - and found militarised versions of prefab tin chapel buildings of 20 years before. This is a large assembly structure at Bodelwyddan Castle Park and Kinmel Park Camp and firing ranges, near Rhyl

post-21705-0-01410900-1512518392.jpg   

and this is the Liverpool Sectional Building Co's quote for a train shed for the WNR  delivered in 6 weeks inclusive of rail transit for £650. Shewn in pre finished rural style fireproof wall panelling with clay tile coloured corrugated metal roof sheeting.

post-21705-0-31368500-1512518482.jpg

Curiously it has far more 1905 Henry Greenly, Eaton Hall and Fairborne miniature railway associations about its light railway character than the cast iron components of mainline Norfolk companies.

I was rather tempted by a much more spacious timber shed like the first Navy seaplane base on Newhaven beach here

dh

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Plymouth, Exeter and London I can understand, but Portsmouth?

• RMweb Premium

Piel is on my layouts shortlist .....

... and I can run the Furness version of the little Sharpie 2-4-0 that the West Norfolk aims to have ...

From the map, one gets the impression that the population of Piel Island only existed to service its railway infrastructure.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

And of course there are the Highland Railway train sheds at Wick and Thurso. Replace the granite with flint or carrstone, and Bobs your Mothers brother....

Andy G

• Like 1

From the map, one gets the impression that the population of Piel Island only existed to service its railway infrastructure.

Piel station was actually on Roa Island - Piel Island itself is about half a mile away and has a fascinating history. There's not a lot of it, but it's got a castle, a pub, it's own King, and it was where Lambert Simnel's army landed in 1487 when the Yorkists rebelled against the Crown.

The line was built to serve the passenger steamers which called at Piel Peir and opened in 1846. One suspects that there would have been something there before the railway arrived to serve the steamers, but most of the developmeent of the island would appear to post-date the arrival of the railway which linked the island to the mainland - the Roa island Hotel for instance wasn't built until 1849.

I like SER Reading.  That is the sort of thing, I think.

Not remotely Norfolk, but quite widespread at various sizes of LNWR station this train shed design provides visibility (the upper glass panels) and access for your shunter's pole to unhook the three link (the lower bit with just cast iron pillars) There is an excellent set of measured drawing in Jack Nelson's LNWR Portrayed.showing everal different varieties.

attachicon.giflnwrrm797.jpg

attachicon.gifPC050424.JPG

I had thought of glass sides, very crystal Palace, but also very North Western!

My, oh my! This thread moves at a speed!

Son tells us to be sure to watch "Motherland" and by the time I return it has moved a couple of pages on trainsheds with some delightful examples.

I went the other way and browsed early 1900s military stuff - and found militarised versions of prefab tin chapel buildings of 20 years before. This is a large assembly structure at Bodelwyddan Castle Park and Kinmel Park Camp and firing ranges, near Rhyl

attachicon.gifarmy camp.jpg   

and this is the Liverpool Sectional Building Co's quote for a train shed for the WNR  delivered in 6 weeks inclusive of rail transit for £650. Shewn in pre finished rural style fireproof wall panelling with clay tile coloured corrugated metal roof sheeting.

attachicon.gifca station.jpg

Curiously it has far more 1905 Henry Greenly, Eaton Hall and Fairborne miniature railway associations about its light railway character than the cast iron components of mainline Norfolk companies.

I was rather tempted by a much more spacious timber shed like the first Navy seaplane base on Newhaven beach here

dh

Very clever, and a great idea.  A little too Light Railway for the WNR, which has an ornate 1850s station building with Pretensions!

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 3

DonW

Reading SR has gradually descended, even in the time I've known it, and I think it has been completely subsumed into the larger station (properly integrated might be a better term) in the latest rebuilding. I was at Reading station recently, but must confess to having been so excited about new electric trains that I forgot to look at the SR bit.

Getting back to CA station building, can I recommend this small piece of very good quality Victorian gothic? https://www.brownsoverhall.co.uk It looks exactly like a railway station cast adrift from the track, and the interior is superb, in excellent decorative order. The detailing is so similar to Tunbridge Wells West and Groombridge stations that I wonder if it was the same architect, or whether both were using a common pattern book. [can that idea, it was designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott, the man who everyone else copied from!]

K

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

Single road trains sheds.

It is interesting that both Northroader and Regularity suggested Aldeburgh.   It is an appropriate design and close enough to period. 

Cromer Beach (below), is another good example, and I am grateful to Mullie for mentioning it.

One GE, one M&GN, both East Anglian.  

I intend Achingham to have a single road train shed, so these ideas will, eventually, be realised.  I have enough room in my shed (just) to extend to Achingham. 

post-25673-0-13466400-1512553279_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Everyone should go to Piel Island just once for the crack, amazing place. Would have been even more amazing when complete with a Furness Railway branch. Even though I understand the origins of the railway, it seems incredible it survived a day after the boats ceased. But it did. 

The rich railway heritage of these islands make me wonder why 99% of the modelling fraternity is fixated on the commonplace.

• Like 1

Piel station was actually on Roa Island - Piel Island itself is about half a mile away and has a fascinating history. There's not a lot of it, but it's got a castle, a pub, it's own King, and it was where Lambert Simnel's army landed in 1487 when the Yorkists rebelled against the Crown.

The line was built to serve the passenger steamers which called at Piel Peir and opened in 1846. One suspects that there would have been something there before the railway arrived to serve the steamers, but most of the developmeent of the island would appear to post-date the arrival of the railway which linked the island to the mainland - the Roa island Hotel for instance wasn't built until 1849.

The siding going off towards the top of the map served a purpose-built steamer quay, but the service was short-lived/abortive IIRC, so, yes, one does wonder how the line sustained itself.  The short stub opposite the station was a siding to the gas works IIRC.

Aside from the hotel, there is a little castle, and a customs house and a life boat station.  The housing is fairly work-a-day brick terracing, as the map suggests.

Fascinating subject for a minimalist terminus layout.  I do want to build it one day.

post-25673-0-14334700-1512553866_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-58017900-1512553959.jpg

post-25673-0-52846900-1512553969.jpg

post-25673-0-21009900-1512553982.jpg

• Like 9

Everyone should go to Piel Island just once for the crack, amazing place. Would have been even more amazing when complete with a Furness Railway branch. Even though I understand the origins of the railway, it seems incredible it survived a day after the boats ceased. But it did. 

The rich railway heritage of these islands make me wonder why 99% of the modelling fraternity is fixated on the commonplace.

Didn't see your post, funny that we were both returning to Roa Island amid the swirling mass of stations inhabiting the topic at present!

• Like 1

And of course there are the Highland Railway train sheds at Wick and Thurso. Replace the granite with flint or carrstone, and Bobs your Mothers brother....

Andy G

These look promising, many thanks Andy.  The larger picture is Thurso, the smaller 2 are Wick, but one helpfully features the interior.

post-25673-0-29854700-1512554507.jpg

post-25673-0-29932100-1512554526.jpg

post-25673-0-72223000-1512554534.jpg

• Like 5