Andy

The Christian church was surprisingly emphatic about facing the rising sun, and analogies with the risen son. They attempted to regularise church orientation as late as C16th, all based on the direction of the rising sun. So, while the Boy Scout method unquestionably works ......

K

• Like 2

Andy

The Christian church was surprisingly emphatic about facing the rising sun, and analogies with the risen son. They attempted to regularise church orientation as late as C16th, all based on the direction of the rising sun. So, while the Boy Scout method unquestionably works ......

K

Where the early and mediaeval church was concerned, I am not surprised to find it emphatic!

• RMweb Premium

Andy

K

The Church had its was and the Masons had theirs. Do not disparage masons. They built pyramids and Stonehenge when The Church was still a pre-Christian Judaist sect in what is now the Middle East.

(Both examples above chosen because they have astrological links - apparently)

The Church had its was and the Masons had theirs. Do not disparage masons. They built pyramids and Stonehenge when The Church was still a pre-Christian Judaist sect in what is now the Middle East.

(Both examples above chosen because they have astrological links - apparently)

My son is convinced that pyramids are something or other used by the Illuminati.  Last thing we need now is a Masonic Conspiracy.

Off to listen to the Magic Flute ....  

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The earth varies its position on its axis, can that affect the position of the true east? Bit deep for this time of night.

Magic Flute - great.

It can and that was covered in that article I linked to, many posts ago.

Andy

K

Don't knock the Boy Scout methods. Petrol is still the best way of lighting a wet campfire, at least while the Scoutmaster's back is turned!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I wouldn't expect my friends up north to be frivolous with white diesel.... ;-}

Although back in the day, I used to use white for bonfires, but then again I wasn't paying....

Andy G

• Like 2

Took an ex-Ministry Landy out to the Caribbean.  Dutifully drained the tank for shipping.  Months later, opened up the side bins to find 4 sealed jerries full of red diesel.  Drove around for free for weeks.

Well, it wasn't an offence to use red diesel where we were, and we could hardly send it back! 

• Like 3

My son is convinced that pyramids are something or other used by the Illuminati.  Last thing we need now is a Masonic Conspiracy.

Off to listen to the Magic Flute .... 

Has anyone else come across the proposition that the Egyptian pyramids' masonry blocks were pre-drilled with100mm dia tunnels aligning the sarcophagos with certain stars on significant days ? (they no longer do, but did at the time of their construction).

What this all has to do with the WNR, I cannot say.

But I do recall that the Norfolk and Suffolk Joint's station at Gorleston-on-Sea was kept alive through the 1960s to provide the British Museum's leading decipherer of ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs with a living as Station Master. 

I was privileged to make alterations to his booking hall and he entertained me very graciously to lunch. Afterwards I was allowed to look at some of his work for the BM,

He explained how he had joined the GCR as a porter at Glossop (where my future wife was a teacher).

He gently corrected my labelling of his up platform as the down on the drawings.

I'd travelled from Liverpool Street down via Lowestoft but alighted at Gorleston's up platform - which addressed London King's Cross via the M&GN and Peterborough!

dh

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I too remember seeing on TV, the star aligned oblong holes in pyramids

Sadly Gorleston station went in 1970, I regularly drive through the site now as it's part of the current A12.

Sadly due to the EU, we now have to pay road fuel duties on the red diesel used in boats!?

Yes, my previous number nonsense about pyramid alignment was actually based on the surveys in the early 1860s that began to identify star alignments ...... Mr O'Doolight assisted on those surveys, before coming to England to work as a jobbing surveyor and pyramidal entrepreneur.

K

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2

Triang butchery, to produce some GW clerestories and WNR 6-wheelers, has also produced some left-over bits.

The branch set is supposed to be a 4-coach, 4-wheel set of Metropolitan Carriage & Wagon Co 1870s coaches.  No progress on that.  Frankly, I am not even capable of producing a high enough quality pdf to import into Inkscape, let alone master the mind-numbing number of steps required to produce a cutting file.  I will return to this someday, but for now I am looking at a quicker, or at least easier, way to produce 4, 4-wheel coaches; 2 Brake Thirds, a Third and a 1st/2nd Composite.

So, the Triang remnants were re-visited, and I will probably attempt to turn them into a set of 4-wheelers ahead of the 6-wheelers (which are not going anywhere until a larger locomotive is attempted).

Why not just build 4 of the Ratio GW 4-wheelers and paint them WNR livery?

Well, if I did that they would look like repainted Ratio 4-wheelers, and what runs on the WNR is to be just that little bit different from what we are used to; I was reminded of that on a visit to Washbourne recently.

I have made a start on the Third.  I had 2 very mangled strips of Third Class compartments left over from the GW Van Third Clerestory conversions.  You can see that there was missing stuff along the base and at each end that I have endeavoured to replace with plastic card. But, they were strips of 5 compartments, perfect for a 4-wheel Third, so I thought I'd give it a go. 

My Wizard Wheeze for the underframe was to build it from an old Airfix (now Dapol) BR Brake Van kit.  All I have done is (1) trim off the wider portions at each end of the kit floor and extend the length at each end with plastic card, (2) pop in some 14mm Mansell wheels (actually these are plastic jobs from a Ratio kit, but I will replace these with Gibsons before the coaches are used on the layout), and (3) mount an 'L' angle strip from Evergreen (2.5mm) (courtesy of the Art Shop, Darlo) to the kit solebars.  It was then simply a case of gluing the sides to the edge of the floor and adding ends.  It's more or less square.

post-25673-0-29735400-1484509076_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-21119700-1484509141_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-27392500-1484509241_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Triang butchery, to produce some GW clerestories and WNR 6-wheelers, has also produced some left-over bits.

The branch set is supposed to be a 4-coach, 4-wheel set of Metropolitan Carriage & Wagon Co 1870s coaches.  No progress on that.  Frankly, I am not even capable of producing a high enough quality pdf to import into Inkscape, let alone master the mind-numbing number of steps required to produce a cutting file.  I will return to this someday, but for now I am looking at a quicker, or at least easier, way to produce 4, 4-wheel coaches; 2 Brake Thirds, a Third and a 1st/2nd Composite.

So, the Triang remnants were re-visited, and I will probably attempt to turn them into a set of 4-wheelers ahead of the 6-wheelers (which are not going anywhere until a larger locomotive is attempted).

Well, if I did that they would look like repainted Ratio 4-wheelers, and what runs on the WNR is to be just that little bit different from what we are used to; I was reminded of that on a visit to Washbourne recently.

I have made a start on the Third.  I had 2 very mangled strips of Third Class compartments left over from the GW Van Third Clerestory conversions.  You can see that there was missing stuff along the base and at each end that I have endeavoured to replace with plastic card. But, they were strips of 5 compartments, perfect for a 4-wheel Third, so I thought I'd give it a go. 

My Wizard Wheeze for the underframe was to build it from an old Airfix (now Dapol) BR Brake Van kit.  All I have done is (1) trim off the wider portions at each end of the kit floor and extend the length at each end with plastic card, (2) pop in some 14mm Mansell wheels (actually these are plastic jobs from a Ratio kit, but I will replace these with Gibsons before the coaches are used on the layout), and (3) mount an 'L' angle strip from Evergreen (2.5mm) (courtesy of the Art Shop, Darlo) to the kit solebars.  It was then simply a case of gluing the sides to the edge of the floor and adding ends.  It's more or less square.

i worry this topic is going back on track   :scared:

Nick

• RMweb Premium

Looking good sir. Are you going to panel the ends? Or are you going to scribe them in matchboarding?

The underframe looks convincing too. At least you have only got to put brake gear on them, as I presume they will be oil lit?

Andy G

This is my take on a Ratio four wheeler modified to look like an ex GE conductor guard coach, more details on my Upbech thread. Only the end doors are in use hence the handrails. Roof beading will go as it is too heavy handed and needs replacing.

post-12773-0-13228000-1484514807_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-74329300-1484514936_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

i worry this topic is going back on track   :scared:

Nick

Yes, it's a concern.

But I work slowly, so it took the whole of the Magic Flute this afternoon to get thus far. 

Looking good sir. Are you going to panel the ends? Or are you going to scribe them in matchboarding?

The underframe looks convincing too. At least you have only got to put brake gear on them, as I presume they will be oil lit?

Andy G

I will panel them.  Might have been easier to do that first, but I wanted to see if the thing would go together before adding detail.  With the composite, which will pursue the same basic method, I have the chance to vary the order I do things.

Lighting. Now that is the interesting question.  The in-abeyance 1870s Metropolitan coaches would have been built  as oil lit and it seems perfectly in order to suppose they have yet to be upgraded to gas.  The 6-wheelers, on the other hand, are relatively modern (late '80s or '90s I would imagine), and they are gas lit.

These new 4-wheelers are, of course, in exactly the same style, and, it is assumed, of the same provenance, as the 6-wheel stock.  I was assuming late '80s for these and gas lit.

The GE seems to have made the changed from square bottom and large radius curved top corners to the more common small radius in all 4 corners panel style relatively late in the day and I suppose the WNR is tracking that.

Your mind must have been fertile even whilst you were laid up with the lurgy.

Possibly just febrile ....

• Like 5

This is my take on a Ratio four wheeler modified to look like an ex GE conductor guard coach, more details on my Upbech thread. Only the end doors are in use hence the handrails. Roof beading will go as it is too heavy handed and needs replacing.

attachicon.gif20170115_201108.jpg

attachicon.gif20170115_201146.jpg

It is a superb conversion, and great to see finished.  Very Kelvedon & Tollesbury and just the ticket for a fictitious Fenland tramway as it is just the sort of thing the GE might have done on your line.  Enough is done to the donor kit for it not to betray its origins. 

Many Light Railway layouts seem to feature a passenger train formed of a pair of Ratio 4-wheelers, generally in a dirty monochrome livery, and very suitable they are too for the work. 

In my case, to use the whole set of 4 Ratio coaches might have betrayed their origin too clearly, especially in a 'mainline' 2-tone livery, albeit the use of the light upper body colour in the waist panels is very un-GW. 

The decisive factors, of course, was the desire to use up bits and bobs from my hackery and the wish to make some 4-wheelers to a uniform style matching the 6-wheelers.

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

For rainstrips I use 0.45mm handrail wire. Secure the centre of the wire to the highest point of the curve with superglue, and when it is set, secure at the end of the roof at the lowest point of the curve, you will then have a perfect curve in the wire. Superglue can then be run onto the wire to secure it along its length....

Do they even need lights? Do you have tunnels? does this set need to work after dark?

Also are they going to be partitioned upto roof height, or just to waist height? If the latter you can cut down the numbers of lamps required (to one shared between two compartments), which might make it more economic to have oil lamps..

Andy G

• Like 3