Class 40, 44, 45, or 46 on the M4 a couple of days ago?

Tref67

Gentlefolk,

A couple of days ago as I was crossing the M4 at the A350/A429 roundabout I passed a lorry carrying several wheelsets. 3 pairs larger than the fourth pair, suggested they were for one of the above classes, presumably off for turning or other rework. Does anyone have any idea which loco they were for or where they were going?

The lorry was coming from the west, at about 7.30-8.30am (I can't remember exactly), so could either be stopping at the truck stop before continuing east on the M4, or dropping onto the A350 south or A429 north...

No real reason to know, just idle curiosity (and a soft-spot for 1CO-CO1s).

TIA,

Tref.

Could of been off anything. 3 sets of larger wheels and 1 set of smaller wheels doesn't necessarely mean they're from a 1co bogie... They could be from 4 individual vehicles, most likely off wagons.

May be off to Eastleigh works?

Agree entirely it doesn't have to mean they're off a 1CO-CO1, just suspected it rather likely. I thought most wagon wheels were pretty consistent in diameter, it just seemed much more likely. Couldn't see a gear wheel, as I was concentrating on where I was going really. I have looked on the dash-cam film, but would say that is pretty inconclusive - the gear is usually against one of the wheels isn't it? It isn't in the middle. No other clues really - the axles of the larger wheelsets are shiny, all have outside journals, and it isn't a full load on the lorry space wise, but could be weight wise I guess? Of course I am biased because I would like it to be a 1CO-CO1!

Archived