New skin testing - particularly for anyone who's had problems with editing/quoting etc.

I'm testing a new skin (colour scheme) at present and wanted to ask if anyone who has had problems with the forum software in editing/quoting or other posting issues that had to change their theme to RMweb_2013 could test the new theme.

Head to the bottom of any page, click on Change Theme and select RMweb_2016 to give it a go.

If you have had problems try using the editor box (the text input area) with the light switch toggle at the top left of the editor box in both up and down positions.

Let me know how you get on and report back any problems in this topic citing what browser version and operating system you're using.

You can change the theme back if you want by the same process but if it does work as it should I'll be moving everyone onto the new skin in due course.

If you have had problems try using the editor box (the text input area) with the light switch toggle at the top left of the editor box in both up and down positions.

Functionally it seems the same and has the same problems with replying to a post where you can't get to the reply area without flipping the light switch toggle.

When replying, the cursor starts inside the post your are replying to and you can't navigate outside this.

I miss the shading of the prior post after a reply.

Are the colours experimental or the plan?

• RMweb Gold

Functionally it seems the same and has the same problems with replying to a post where you can't get to the reply area without flipping the light switch toggle.

Always click into the reply box at the bottom of the box.

This is counter-intuitive, but solves the problem of those browsers which respond to the event click after loading the editor bar, instead of before.

Martin.

I wanted to give a lick of paint and wanted to take the colouring a bit further away from the stock version.

A shame about the glitches still being there but at least I know it's down to software versions rather than style sheets at this end. What browser/OS are you still seeing the problems in?

Not sure what you mean on the previous post shading though; maybe that's browser dependent?

A shame about the glitches still being there but at least I know it's down to software versions rather than style sheets at this end. What browser/OS are you still seeing the problems in?

Not sure what you mean on the previous post shading though; maybe that's browser dependent?

Chrome Version 48.0.2564.103 m

With the 2016 theme, the background to the prior post (your text in this case) is white, along with my reply.

See:

post-1819-0-85119300-1454956967.jpg

Curiously, since having changed the theme to 2016 (and back) the task bars of the editor are still cream - even when back in the 2014 theme.

If you want to go with the darker borders, you'll need to change text that sits on those borders (like the "change theme" command to white text.

See:

post-1819-0-10588500-1454956939.jpg

Same version here, all fine - Version 48.0.2564.103 m

With the 2016 theme, the background to the prior post (your text in this case) is white, along with my reply.

Aah, you mean the quoted post section, I can do something with that.

• RMweb Gold

Always click into the reply box at the bottom of the box.

This is counter-intuitive, but solves the problem of those browsers which respond to the event click after loading the editor bar, instead of before.

Martin.

I can reproduce the problem in Chrome.

Clicking into the bottom half of the Reply box cures it.

Martin.

With that butter cream colour, people are going to want chocolate or crimson accents. ;)

Is there any way I could change the entire background to be that butter creme colour? Might seem crazy to most but I'm dyslexic and with the creme colour background it makes the site far easier (for me) to read and I can spot mistakes when I'm typing considerably easier too. Also is there any way the spell checker can be changed to UK English?

P

• RMweb Gold

Is there any way I could change the entire background to be that butter creme colour? Might seem crazy to most but I'm dyslexic and with the creme colour background it makes the site far easier (for me) to read and I can spot mistakes when I'm typing considerably easier too.

Yes, depending on your browser, but it will apply to all web sites, not just RMweb. Here is what your post may look like. You may find that a neutral light-grey background works better than a colour:

post-1103-0-78166000-1454977970.png

In Firefox, click the Tools > Options menu item (or click the hamburger icon (top right) and then click the Options cog-wheel icon).

On the new window, click Content on the left.

Then click the Colors... button on the right.

Then do this:

post-1103-0-28717100-1454978733.png

To change it back, repeat the above and change the Always setting to Never.

For other browsers, over to someone else to provide instructions. smile.gif

regards,

Martin.

Yes, depending on your browser, but it will apply to all web sites, not just RMweb. Here is what your post may look like. You may find that a neutral light-grey background works better than a colour:

Thanks for taking the time. I should have said I use chrome. I've always managed to change background colours in Windows and all other programmes but not chrome. 

Your post motivated me into looking for  methods of changing background/body colour and there seems to be a way using something called themes but I feel there must be a simpler way.

Thanks again,

I have had a problem using an Android Acer tablet, and the default browser, where the buttons sometimes don't appear at all when replying. Expanding (zooming) the view allows parts of the buttons to be seen.

I'll have to give the new theme a try on that to see if it changes anything. I don't use the tablet very often (it's a bit slow and my typing is even worse with a touch screen and no keyboard!) but will make a point of trying it in the next day or two.

Otherwise, I haven't noticed any problems on laptops or desktops using Google Chrome and Windows XP/7/8.1/10.

I'm testing a new skin (colour scheme) at present and wanted to ask if anyone who has had problems with the forum software in editing/quoting or other posting issues that had to change their theme to RMweb_2013 could test the new theme.

Head to the bottom of any page, click on Change Theme and select RMweb_2016 to give it a go.

Let me know how you get on and report back any problems in this topic citing what browser version and operating system you're using.

You can change the theme back if you want by the same process but if it does work as it should I'll be moving everyone onto the new skin in due course.

seems to work ok for me using IE.

• RMweb Premium

I'm not sure if this is related to the new skin system, but I'm seeing screen tips that are very big relative to the text in them:

post-6714-0-00745100-1455224091_thumb.jpg

This happens on a number of 'buttons'. The text varies in amount, but the tip box is always the same oversized compared to the text. I'm presuming it should be the same size as the text.

I'm on Firefox 40-something on Linux Mint 17.3

• RMweb Gold

I'm on Firefox 40-something on Linux Mint 17.3

Hi Ian,

That's not the new skin. A quick way to see is that the magnifier icon on the Search box is green on the new skin, instead of maroon.

To change it, go to the extreme bottom left of the page, click Change Theme and then select RMweb_2016.

regards,

Martin.

• RMweb Premium

OK, I've tried _2013, _2014 and _2016, and the tip box has the same problem on all of them. As a consequence of that I've just gone to another website (www.theregister.co.uk) and the tip boxes for their facebook and twitter buttons on their main page are the same, so it looks like it might be a Firefox or Linux Mint problem. Please ignore it for RMweb.

Archived