Hawksworth Coaches

Hi, I have it in mind that there was an article in a magazine not so long ago about modifying/improving/detailing a pair of Hornby's Hawksworth Carriages which might have run on the S&DJR.

In fact I thought I'd kept the article, but I cannot find it.

If anybody else remembers the article I'd be really grateful for a pointer to where it was.

Many thanks

RichardS

There was definitely a Hawksworth brake, I can't remember now whether it was a BCK or a BSK, on the Highbridge branch train in the last year or so of the the S&D. It sticks in my memory because the doors in Hawksworth carriages weren't fitted with slam locks, so once you had got in you had to lower the window and turn the handle to lock the door.

There are plenty of pictures of one of those Hawksworth brake composites that were converted to a slip coach on the Highbridge branch. Also there's a picture of one on the climb out of Bath behind a Std 3 tank on the evening Binegar service I think, but I can't tell at the moment whether it was a slip coach as I'm currently away from home so havn't got my books nearby. They were also used on the afternoon Templecombe to Bailey Gate 'milky'.

• RMweb Gold

There are plenty of pictures of one of those Hawksworth brake composites that were converted to a slip coach on the Highbridge branch. Also there's a picture of one on the climb out of Bath behind a Std 3 tank on the evening Binegar service I think, but I can't tell at the moment whether it was a slip coach as I'm currently away from home so havn't got my books nearby. They were also used on the afternoon Templecombe to Bailey Gate 'milky'.

There is a photo of a Hawksworth coach among Dad's S&D photos at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/78311-bbg02-cl2-262t-41243-highbridge-to-evercreech-junction-at-glastonbury-5-11-64/ 

I recently remembered that the Newman family (not Alan Newman's family) who lived near the Somerset Central line have a website which has a good collection of S&D photos mainly from the 1960s. http://www.newman-family-tree.net/s&d/index.html

Archived