Some coupling questions

D5541

Evening all

As a follow on from my brake van question, while working on a few plastic kits at once, a quick image search on Google shows various prototypes of the wagons (n some of the locos on my workbench) fitted with different types of couplings, so the question is...

Were there any particular rules about which circumstances required particular types of couplings to be fitted to wagons?

As an example, I'm currently working on a handful of 16t mineral wagons which I want to fit etched couplings to, but photos of the real things show them fitted with 3 link, instanter and screw couplings

Cheers

Dan

The type of coupling is associated with the length (projection) of the buffers used.

In most cases unfitted vehicles were fitted with shorter buffers and three link couplings. 

When fitted with vacuum brakes, the buffers were made longer by adding a packing piece behind the buffer or welding an extension on the front of the housing.  A screw coupling or instanter was then used. 

It is a complex subject so I'd suggest looking closely at pictures to see the differences (A very interesting subject)

Evening all

As a follow on from my brake van question, while working on a few plastic kits at once, a quick image search on Google shows various prototypes of the wagons (n some of the locos on my workbench) fitted with different types of couplings, so the question is...

Were there any particular rules about which circumstances required particular types of couplings to be fitted to wagons?

As an example, I'm currently working on a handful of 16t mineral wagons which I want to fit etched couplings to, but photos of the real things show them fitted with 3 link, instanter and screw couplings

Cheers

Dan

In the case of your 16-tonners, I'd go for Instanters, unless you've any of the ones built as fitted wagons, which might have had screws. Three links started to be replaced by Instanters during the 1950s on unfitted stock, whilst fitted stock was built with either screws or Instanters, so that the buffers could be kept closer together when the wagons were running as a fitted portion/train. Have a look through Paul Barlett's selection of images:-

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/

Most locos would have been fitted with screw couplings; the exceptions would be those without train brakes, intended for shunting and goods work (the GWR 67xx panniers, perhaps). I don't think I've ever seen a loco with Instanters.

The date of operation is significant. The unfitted sixteen tonner build of the forties and fifties I have always taken to be fitted with three lnk, because that's what the sample record pictures of newly constructed wagons show. (Generally true of BR's build of unfitted wagons) By 1970, unfitted wagons equipped with instanters are much in evidence. Much inspection of dated photos for your modelling target zone, as already suggested.

Cheers for the answers :-) definitely need to invest in some wagon books for future reference!

As far as time period goes, I don't have anything specific in mind, at a few quid a go I'm just having a bit of fun putting some wagons together to shuffle round some sidings, so decided to settle on RCH buffers and instanters for my mineral wagons, n will probably do something close to more detailed research for my brake vans :-)

What coupling was fitted to wagons is a difficult question. The basic unfitted mineral wagon was fitted with 3 links originally, but as the years passed would have been fitted with instantiers/screws recovered from scrapped wagons. IIRC BR had a clause in scrapping of stock relating to the return of these in exchange for 3 links to scrap. Vac fitted wagons would have either instantiers or screws as built, with the xp branded wagons fitted with screws (although there is photos of the 12ton vans with instantiers).

Archived