Swiss Steam Railcar damaged

31A

• RMweb Premium

Apologies if this has already been raised elsewhere, but I can't see that it has.

Very sadly, the preserved Swiss steam railcar (which is allowed to run on the main line) has been damaged in collision with a ballast wagon at Sihlbrugg:

http://www.bahnonline.ch/bo/blog/5190/dampftriebwagen-czm-31-in-sihlbrugg-mit-schotterwagen-kollidiert-20-2-16.htm

What a tragic accident to the historic vehicle, as well as for those injured in the accident.  I hope the railcar can be repaired.

I've seen comments elsewhere suggesting that this proves that the railcar shouldn't be allowed to run on the national network, however from the reports it does seem that the fault in no way lies with the railcar crew and rather with the way the wagons were stabled so to be foul of the signalled route.

• RMweb Gold

I'd suggest if that's any kind of track circuited route it shows a pretty big fault with the signalling....

Unless the position of the railcar is a result of the collision I would agree entirely with that.  The photo suggests that the wagons were standing foul, very foul, and the railcar Driver should not have been expecting them to be there.

Archived