JLTRT Class 50

Gazza

Hi Gazza,

You need to drill out the hole and fit a flat head 3mm bright white LED 20mA with a 470 ohm resistor. I'll put some pictures up tomorrow. It also depends on which loco and period you are modelling. The battered locos had a headlight which looked dim. If you look on flickr for 50019, 50020 or 50034 in the last years (1990).

Regards

Vin

Hi Gazza,

You need to drill out the hole and fit a flat head 3mm bright white LED 20mA with a 470 ohm resistor. I'll put some pictures up tomorrow. It also depends on which loco and period you are modelling. The battered locos had a headlight which looked dim. If you look on flickr for 50019, 50020 or 50034 in the last years (1990).

Regards

Vin

any info yet Vin

Hi Gazza,

I cannot find most of the class 50 JLTRT pics but the one I do have is of 50028 and 50035. Showing the brightness of the headlight compared to the headcode box.

post-11695-0-10839500-1457543263_thumb.jpg

On the left you can see the bright headlight whilst on the right is the unlit flat top 3mm dia. LED.

Which prototype are you modelling?

Regards

Vin

Hi Vin,

I

Hi Gazza,

I cannot find most of the class 50 JLTRT pics but the one I do have is of 50028 and 50035. Showing the brightness of the headlight compared to the headcode box.

attachicon.gif50028 Tiger 050.jpg

On the left you can see the bright headlight whilst on the right is the unlit flat top 3mm dia. LED.

Which prototype are you modelling?

Regards

Vin

Hi Vin,

thanks for getting back to me ok then. I'm doing 50041 in Large Logo Br Blue obviously. So its look like its  just come out from Donnie after its refurbishment with just a bit of weathering on the bogies. So basically I want to replicate the 50 in your shot on the left hand side.
Questions I would like to ask please

1) High Intensty lamp, which Led did you use was it clear white or bright white  something else? which manufacture did it come from, you did mention about a flat head 3mm bright white LED 20mA with a 470 ohm resistor. Well the aperture for the light is just about 5mm. So did you use a holder surrounding the LED  to plug the gap????? or did use a bigger LED, which did you use was it Lighthouse?

2) Head code box what did you use for this?

3) Red tail lights did you just use a 3mm standard red tower LED and file it down to suit?

4)Cab lights any advice on that which lights, bulbs, grain of wheat or LED to use for that ?

Did you fit also a 470 ohm resistor behind each light at all 
sorry for all the questions, Im a bit stuck 
Cheers

4)Cab lights any advice on that which lights, bulbs, grain of wheat or LED to use for that ?

Hi Gazza,

I'm keeping a close eye on this thread now as I've tried several LED's for cab lights (Amber, Warm white, white - painted) and still not come up with anything that I like or looks sensible.  I think the best option is to go along with a grain of wheat bulb as, after all, we are trying to emulate 'a bulb'.

I'm just concerned about any heat given off as a cab light must be positioned against the cab ceiling which makes me worry about melting the loco.

Cheers

Lee

Hi Gazza,

I'll have to hunt for the photos. Firstly to fit the tail light LED's you can cheat a bit because in BR days only one would light up. This did change from side to side so a photo at night is the best plan. I don't use tower LED's because there isn't enough room behind the driver's console to fit and wire them. What I do is use a 3mm drill bit on REVERSE to drill from inside the cab. If you put it on forward you will drill all the way through.

As for the headcode boxes use a 1mm drill bit first because you need to drill all the way through it for position. Then follow it with a 4mm drill. I then put 3mm LEDs (warm white) and in series in the holes. You do need to paint the inside of the holes with black paint to stop light bleed. The lens are then formed with canopy glue mixed with silver grey paint to make an opaque lens finish. So when the lights are off it looks like a glass lens.

The internal cab lights are a single LED as used for the headcode box lights but because in the class 50 you cannot see them (unlike the class 37 or 40) glue them to the roof of the cab behind the back of the headcode box.

I think I've covered most of the points but if there is anything I've missed, do reply back.

Regards

Vin

Archived