Residual Effects of Hornby Weathering

I am in the process of re-weathering that awful Hornby weathering on their K1.  Most has gone pretty well although I did discover that I had to use a semi gloss to properly cover the driving wheels, the matt Tamiya that I normally use gave an incredibly matt finish where-as over normal as factory finish the matt give a sort of semis matt finish.  Anyway, that not the problem.  After light weathering using an airbrush and Tamiya paints, I was not happy with one side of the tender.   Based on normal practice I decided to wipe it "clean" using Tamiya thinner and respray.  However, after the respray the online of the Hornby weathering can clearly be seen even though you could not see it after wiping.  Its like the paint has a different colour setting.  Tried it twice more and the same effect.  Also, tried my usual trick when I screw up and that is the dry brush blend in.  Cannot get that to give a nice distribution, it just sort of streaks.  Only consolation so far is that the Hornby lining is on there pretty firmly.  If I had done as many 'removals" with Bachmann the lining would be gone.  I have read about sealers but have no experience and am reluctant to experiment bearing in mind that getting Hornby spare parts seems to be an exercise in futility.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  

• RMweb Gold

Hornby's 'weathering' can be removed with gentle applications of small amounts isopropyl alcohol on a cotton bud, working on a small area at a time. This will also work on your Tamiya applications, just work slowly and carefully.

Thks Mike.

At the moment i am cautiously optimistic that I may have dealt with about 95% of the problem.  Using Varsol (I don't know what the UK equivalent is) and a paper towel I essentially took off all the paint, both mine (Tamiya) and Hornby's.  However, I could still somewhat see the shadow effect of the Hornby weathering so I had a go at rubbing it down with T-cut, cleaning the entire surface with Goo be Done, removing that with dishwashing liquid and water and finally cleaning the entire surface with a cotton but soaked in electrical cleaner.  By now the shadow effect was about 95% gone.  I knew it was there but I suspect anyone looking at it would not see it.  Last night I resprayed it with my regular Tamiya weathering mix and, as I said the shadow effect is just about gone.  Tonight I will decide if I am going to leave well alone or run a fine "mist" of my chassis weathering mix (Tamiya matt black with a bit of earth)  along the bottom of the tender body and the chassis.  One thing I will say is that the Hornby lining is tuff.  After all the work I have done it is still 99% there.

Archived