I build Caroline Street some time ago. I also found another way to present my story about Northall.  

​I publish regularly in the Blog session of the RMweb about my Northall diorama's.

post-11675-0-67557500-1457111585_thumb.jpg

No, I don’t want to build an interior into the existing diorama. I needed just the interior for the illustration of my story. In his excellent book “Cottage Modelling for Pendon” Chris Pilton is a good chapter about when you should build an interior. The most important is the room of the interior will be visible for the viewer and mostly the room in which the interior is made has lighting attached.

I have done this, although with indirect lightning for my shops on Station Road. See the picture of Walden Books below:

post-11675-0-13611100-1457111663_thumb.jpg

The interior that I have created now is a small diorama on itself. It contains a front room and a kitchen.

In some background information I found was stated that:

Many people used their front room just for special occasions and it was kept tidy for this purpose. Many were hardly ever used because of this.”

In my case the front room is used for listening to the radio and reading a newspaper or book.

post-11675-0-04257600-1457111744_thumb.jpg

The kitchen was the centre of the family live, because it was the warmest room in the house with heat from the range.

post-11675-0-22088200-1457111785_thumb.jpg

The housewife is making the lunch. I was gladly surprised when I saw that Dart Castings had added a housewife figure in the Monty figures range.

Used textures.

For the building of the diorama I used textures from

Scalescenes : kitchen wall and the kitchen floor

Model Railway Scenery: wall paper in the front room and wooden floor.

Finescale buildings: kitchen range and furniture in the front room and kitchen.

Internet: dollhouse free available textures (photo’s) and other textures/pictures that I re-sized personally, for instance the radio in the front room.

post-11675-0-21245600-1457111920_thumb.jpg

If you like to see how I present my diorama story, have a look here:

https://www.facebook.com/job.weessies/videos/947390605350238/

Music is from Montovani one of the great 1950’s orchestra’s and the Billy Cotton show.

Any suggestion or comments are welcome.

Kind regards,

Job

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Awesome work, and I love the story. I am trying to bring together a story for my layout - all the figures have names, backstories, purposes - I find it helps to bed them in to the layout, same as the buildings. Your take on it is superb, and has caused me to rethink how I could do it- not choreographed with the stock movements, but independent of them, just as you present it.

fantastic work - thanks for sharing  

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Job,

just this evening my wife and I were discussing cold lino floors and hopping from carpet to carpet as kids to avoid cold lino covered floors!  We also mentioned the parlour; i.e. the front room, often only used on Sundays and life centring around the kitchen or a back room the rest of the week.  And then I see your model :yes: , so very reminiscent of life 'back then' or at least how it was for some.  Nicely observed detail, especially the tiling on the fireplace. 

Archived