SPROG 3 problem

• RMweb Premium

I have set up my SPROG 3 today for the first time on a new laptop, all looks to be working OK - other than it won't produce any sensible answers.

Putting a loco that this unit (but not this laptop) has programmed previously on the prog track produced a decoder ID of 123 - Massoth.  It's a cheapo Bachmann Tsunami.  Every other answer is 123.  So I tried to ID a loco with NOTHING on the prog track - 123.......

All the software looks to be operating OK, both red lights are lit on the sprog, I have no idea what is going on here, and ideas folks?

• RMweb Gold

Just a guess and I'm sure Andrew will be along soon, but is the operating system on the new laptop different to the old? It may well need different drivers (hidden bits of computer programming magic stuff) downloaded for it.

Basics - Sprog connected to short piece of track with NOTHING else connected.  No other systems, no quick "rail clips" which contain suppression parts, nothing.    Correct software drivers downloaded and installed. 

Assuming basics are correct, your results indicate a problem.   Try one more decoder, then go back to supplier asking for replacement. 

- Nigel

If the laptop and the SPROG are talking then the drivers are OK. With nothing at all connected you should get 255. I can't think of a mechanism that would return 123 for all combinations.

In the first instance, please open the SPROG console (sprog menu in DP) and log the messages to a file and send it direct to us. That may give a hint as to what is happening.

Andrew Crosland

http://www.sprog-dcc.co.uk

• RMweb Premium

Nigel - yes, two bits of wire to one bit of track no 'Hornby Digital Connector' crap,  it's even thirty yards from the layout!  The software appears to be operating normally as it always did, but it is just not reading properly.  I don't think it's reading at all in fact, as I can't hear any pulsing going on.

Andrew - e mail sent, thank you.

It'll be nice to get this up and running again as it is a good bit of kit.

Archived