N gauge item 3d scanned and rescaled to oo gauge for 3d printing can it be done ?.

• RMweb Gold

Well, it could be done. By why would you? It's going to magnify any deficiencies in the N gauge model, especially things such as thickness of the sides.

The right way to do it is to see if the owner of the N gauge design can tweak the CAD files to bring it up to 4mm (quite apart from copyright/intellectual property legal issues).

as said above, resizing/scaling is not difficult, but it works on every part of original design. I do a lot of resizing on my own designs in CAD program, and have to adjust thicknesses of walls etc, and sometimes modify design to suit a different scale. When going bigger, reducing thickness of walls and adding extra detail, and when going smaller increasing thickness of walls, and removing some detail. Different each time.

If 3D scanning an existing item,it can then be reverse engineered into what ever CAD program you use(so I am told), and then you can go through design and double the scale. Remember that simply doubling the size would increase volume, ie amount of material used, by a factor of eight. 

Archived