Brick arches

Or rather the covering of. I have a Scales cenes bridge kit which I have built up, but would like to clad it with Wills embossed brickwork as I prefer some relief over the flat printed finish. Im a bit stumped as to how to cover the curved arches...obviously the sheets are formed of straight brickwork. Anyone?

Wills do a flexible brick lining designed for viaducts, product code SSMP231:

http://www.ehattons.com/40408/Wills_Kits_SSMP231_Viaduct_Brick_lining_flexible_4_sheets/StockDetail.aspx

Should be a good match for the more rigid Wills sheets.

Edit: ...or do you mean the wedge-shaped external bricks or stones... keystone, springers and voussoirs? If so, Wills also do an overlay kit SS55 but for exactly the right size/shape, you can cut them individually from plastic sheet of an appropriate thickness and shape/round them with fine wet & dry.

There is another option:

Emboss the Scalescenes kit.

Glue the parts on the card and once COMPLETELY drygo over it all with a BLUNT blade or a probe that has been rounded off.

In OO there is not much embossing needed at the best of times, so you will have the best of both worlds!

Khris

Blue

Which bridge is it that you are dealing with?

I ask, because every Scalescenes bridge that I can google has horizontal (straight) brick courses, except for the crown of the arch. Non-horizontal courses are pretty rare in reality.

If it is only the crown that you are worried about, it is pretty simple to cut a crown-shape from plasticard the same thickness as whatever plastic brick overlay you are using, scribe the bricks onto it, and to cut a section out of the overlay to accommodate it. You can do the same with flush sills and lintels. Slaters certainly used to sell sheets of arch-crowns, and curved heads to go over windows, which saved the (tiny) effort of scribing the bricks onto plain plasticard.

Hope that is helpful, Kevin

Archived