Hornby Q1 - R2355

Arun Sharma

Regarding this particular fine model - For one reason and another I really need to know what the loco's axle diameter is. Does Hornby use a standard axle diameter on its steam engines or do they vary from model to model. It seems to me that viewing the driving axles on this particular model is next to impossible without totally destroying it - and I don't really want to do that!

• RMweb Gold

Regarding this particular fine model - For one reason and another I really need to know what the loco's axle diameter is. Does Hornby use a standard axle diameter on its steam engines or do they vary from model to model. It seems to me that viewing the driving axles on this particular model is next to impossible without totally destroying it - and I don't really want to do that!

From the numerous times, I've dismantled Q1's the axle diameter is 3 mm - if my memory is correct.

Just being curious but for what reason would you want to know the axle diameter of this particular loco type?

Just being curious but for what reason would you want to know the axle diameter of this particular loco type?

So that it can be rewheeled/gauge widened using the present chassis rather than having to create a new chassis from etch artwork if that makes sense.

So that it can be rewheeled/gauge widened using the present chassis rather than having to create a new chassis from etch artwork if that makes sense.

Just what I thought having EM'd an example a few years ago. I used a sprocket puller and shimmed behind the wheels with shaped pieces of plasticard.

The brake gear had to be widened also. The tender under frame takes a little more cutting away. The loco ran on two EM layouts before I built my present exhibition layout back to 00 gauge.  I didn't like the running after re-gauging again and so I fitted a new axle set from Peter's Spares (other suppliers are available) 

Archived