Non-NCB Giesel Austerities

Were there any that didn't have their Giesel ejectors fitted under NCB ownership?

I've managed to mislead myself into believing the Port of London Austerities that ended up in the North-East were already Giesel-fitted when they were sold to the NCB.  Discovering that they weren't converted until they got to Ashington has slightly shot me in the foot. (i.e one of the ex-PLA loco's that wasn't sold to the NCB ending up at another port on the south coast with a Giesel ejector)

Were there any that didn't have their Giesel ejectors fitted under NCB ownership?

No, although I believe there are (or were) proposals to fit HE 3776 at the Embsay & Bolton Abbey Railway with an ex NCB Giesl ejector.  HE 3776 is an ex NCB loco but was never fitted with a Giesl ejector by the NCB.

Giesl ejectors were one of several measures adopted by the NCB in the 1960s, principally to comply with the Clean Air Act but also with the benefits of more power and the ability to burn lower grade coal.  By that time of course other industrial users were turning to diesel power.

The Industrial Railway Society's RECORD magazine No.196 of March 2009 contained an article on the modifications carried out by the NCB, which included details of which locomotives had Giesl ejectors and (where known) where and when they were fitted.

• 1 month later...

Archived