RMweb

Ayjay class 507/508 kit project

The issue with the resin mould's is nothing to do with shrinkage, it is that this was clearly copied from the old mtk kit,the cab is exactly the same as the old mtk one, it would not of cost an absolute fortune to get one properly designed from scratch.

Here is pics of the one Amsie did around 2007, that never got produced as a kit, but was 3d printed.

those ones look far better in pretty much every way. Are the chamfered ends deeper on that one? What happened to those then if they were never produced as a kit? Was it intended to be produced then just dropped? I'm surprised they got that far and didn't progress them

Here is my MTK 508 built too long ago to remember when! I don't know what I did to the end but it looks a little different to the Ayjay one. I know the bogies are wrong but there was not many options back then.

post-1373-0-24486300-1459784645_thumb.jpg

post-1373-0-66159600-1459784660_thumb.jpg

Cheers.

• Like 3

Also, Im not sure if its me, but the front "face" looks a little squashed? the windows on the MTK one look better proportioned, whereas the Ajay ones look compressed a little... Im tempted to give a go at building one of these from scratch/casting once my other projects are finished

NL

Checkout the pictures of Gordon Hopkins class 508 which he built using his own self made moulds into which he poured a resin mixture to give all the necessary parts needed to build a unit. There was a feature over 2 issues of BRM magazine back in 1996 I think it was where Gordon described in full detail how he built the unit as a 4 car 508/0 numbered 508025.

The unit has 4 chassis made from the type of board used for making electronic circuit boards in computers aswell as directional lighting, a beeper to warn of the doors closing as on modern units of today and the most impressive feature I have ever seen on a unit where the doors on 3 of the cars are able to open. If you pm Gordon to ask for info on how he built his unit I am sure he would be happy to help you.

As far as the cab windows are concerned the window that looks correct on the mtk unit is the cab front door window. The 2 main windows should appear almost square but with rounded corners. I would advise checking out pictures of the real units aswell as classes 313/4 & 5 and you will see what I mean.

Is that the unit that often appears on the MERG stand at exhibitions? I presume there aren't too many around with opening doors, door warning beeper or the orange bodyside lights when the doors can open

Yes, it did appear for several years on the MERG stand, but not recently as we often struggle for space with the various displays we have.

Construction was detailed in BRM during 1998.

It was built for running on P4 track on Effingham South, which is currently stored in my garage.

AFAIK it remains the only unit around having all the features already mentioned.

The only change of note made since it was originally constructed has been to make the traction DCC controlled.

The door power supply and operation remains as it was, using third rail pick-up and IR Remote control.

Here is my MTK 508 built too long ago to remember when! I don't know what I did to the end but it looks a little different to the Ayjay one. I know the bogies are wrong but there was not many options back then.

attachicon.gif508 Cab.jpg

attachicon.gif508 Side.jpg

Cheers.

I remember using this on FMRC Boldon Jct many years ago.

Carl

I do remember the article in BRM, the opening doors at the time were impressive as I don't think anyone else had done such a thing, of course younger me didn't pay much attention to the wiring diagrams that came with the article, shame I got rid of the issue in a magazine clearout

NL

I must say the work you put into the unit is impressive. It would probably take me several courses in electronics before I would be able to do something like that, its enough now just trying to get a 3rd rail unit I'm working on to drive and perform properly.

It certainly helps if electronics is the day job too. As you might imagine, I needed to know what facilities were going to be included, and how they were all going to work before I could embark on construction, as well as having the facilities to do it. Every coach has a unique printed circuit board for its chassis, which not only acts as the floor, but includes the circuitry required for each aspect of the control. The cab end coach circuitry is mostly concerned with the head/tail lamp lighting, the coach whose doors do not open just houses the Athearn flywheel drive mechanism (see picture below), and the fourth coach contains the microcontroller and constant current drive circuits for the memory wire operated doors. All coaches are connected using a 7 way electrical bus, again using PCBs which plug together to form solid 'bar' couplings. The door opening remote control detector is fitted as part of the underfloor equipment on the fourth coach.

post-317-0-68219200-1460145685.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, no sorry nothing new. Need to apply some matt varnish to seal in the decals and dull down the front end then I'll make a start on the glazing. I haven't sorted the couplings yet so not had it running properly as a full unit

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

I would be tempted to cut those cab ends off and rebuild them out of styrene sheet. They aren't that complicated a shape, and I'm sure you can make a pair much better than those horrendous ones....

Andy G

I've got kadee #5 couplings and I'm mounting them on the bogies with plastic card to get the desired length. Might look into adding a coupling on the cab ends so they can be connected to a diesel loco. Not sure I'm confident enough to start modifying it like that yet Andy but I agree they don't look the best

Cheers

• RMweb Premium

You would be surprised how easy it will be. Get yourself lots of photos, and ask about on here to see if anyone has a drawing, and then go about it slowly, do about a hour at a time and then leave it and keep coming back to it. Don't be afraid to throw a couple of ends away as you go along, but you will be able to do it, blimey you have managed to paint it much better than I could, so I think you under estimate your skills!

If you get a problem, theres plenty of folk on here that will offer help.

Andy G

• 2 weeks later...

I was considering buying this kit myself, I'm so glad I didn't. The proportions are way out, even the Windows on the sides are too low! If the price shown on Ayjays homepage of over £800 is correct, that's a hell of a lot of money for an inaccurate model. I bought my Vauxhall Corsa for half the price of this kit! (£450)! 

Don't get me wrong,you've done an excellent job, the repaint looks top quality, those stripes along the sides look pretty fiddly to do and it's only the model itself that lets it down!

I was considering buying this kit myself, I'm so glad I didn't. The proportions are way out, even the Windows on the sides are too low! If the price shown on Ayjays homepage of over £800 is correct, that's a hell of a lot of money for an inaccurate model. I bought my Vauxhall Corsa for half the price of this kit! (£450)! 

Don't get me wrong,you've done an excellent job, the repaint looks top quality, those stripes along the sides look pretty fiddly to do and it's only the model itself that lets it down!

That is the ready to run price I think, the kits are about £75-150 depending upon the number of cars.

The kit for a 3 car formation is £260. Haven't got any more pictures at the moment but the glazing is done just need to sort the couplings, lights and fit the handles on the cabs

Edited by Marc d

The kit for a 3 car formation is £260. Haven't got any more pictures at the moment but the glazing is done just need to sort the couplings, lights and fit the handles on the cabs

But when you consider the inaccuracies that is a lot, but then again its the only model of this particular EMU we have, but If I was to buy one, Id reprofile, and alter it a lot until it looked right IMO

NL

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, it's not far off now. Sorted the couplings out and after testing it as a unit I need to add some weights to stop it wheel spinning. Haven't sorted the lights out yet, that's next on the agenda as well as fitting the handles on the cabs. Will get some more pictures up ASAP

Couple of pics, decided against putting bulbs in as I need 5 and there was too much wiring and messing about with diodes so I've just painted the lights on to see how it looked

image_21.jpg

image_22.jpg

Edited by Marc d