Hornby/Jouef/Lima c61000 loco

rue_d_etropal

just got hold of one of the Lima boxed versions of the Jouef C61000 loco from Hornby website at a very reasonable price, but it does not have an instruction sheet to tell me how to take body off. The two ends seem loose, but something in middle seems to be holding body on. It might be the scew under chassis but I am reluctance to do anything that might break something, especially as I have not yet had a chance to test run it.

I basically bought it because of the orice and possibility of using the chassis for a narrow gauge loco, and had not realised the locos date from early 1950s so could be used on my mini layouts. Not sure which way I will go

just got hold of one of the Lima boxed versions of the Jouef C61000 loco from Hornby website at a very reasonable price, but it does not have an instruction sheet to tell me how to take body off. The two ends seem loose, but something in middle seems to be holding body on. It might be the scew under chassis but I am reluctance to do anything that might break something, especially as I have not yet had a chance to test run it.

I basically bought it because of the orice and possibility of using the chassis for a narrow gauge loco, and had not realised the locos date from early 1950s so could be used on my mini layouts. Not sure which way I will go

There is a screw under the loco - if you unscrew it, the the exhaust which it is attached to comes off. You then have to put various flat implements around the body to persuade it off. Once its off, it does go back on easily. I have just detailed one with a SMD Productions detailing kit and was very wary about taking it apart but once I had done it, it was fine. It runs runs lie the proverbial of a shovel, not what you would call scale speeds!

thanks, was wondering about that screw, but in past have often found they just hold base plate on. One thing you can depend on with Jouef is that nothing is standard, with each loco having different motor/chassis fittings. Will now have to see how it runs, but at the price can not grumble. At least it is does not have the classic Jouef belt driven system.

• RMweb Premium

I'm afraid that I'm unable to add anything to the disassembly but wondered if I could trouble you Simon for the wheelbase of the Lima shunter please; it may be just the chassis donor I'm looking for.

Thank you.

overall wheelbase is 53mm.

It does look like a useful chassis, but does lack the fineness and smooth running of newer models. For that reason I have decided to sell it . Jouef tended to be too clever in their designs and at least this loco is not belt driven, but does have that annoying wobbly flexible centre axle. Probably OK for others but have found fixed axles run better(comparing Hornby standard with flexi axle , and Railroad with fixed axles). In theory flexibility should improve running, but I find the opposite.

At same time I bought one of the small BO BO locos, with as I discovered central motor and connections to both bogies. It says Rivarossi on base but it runs as good as any American post Spectrum era model, taking a over 2 minutes to complete a circuit on our 8ft b 4ft test track. Onl downside is chassis length is fixed so more difficult to use in other locos, but ideal for shunting.

I did find a webpage on Hornby International website with technical sheets for most locos, trouble is you have to know model number, and those look like they are randomly generated, keep changing, and sometimes are the train-set number. Does mean you can hopefully see which motor is fitted as Hornby still seem to be using up stock of pancake motors.

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks for running the ruler over the model (the wb will be too long for my purpose) and the candid assessment of its performance; most useful to know. A little disappointing by the sound of it.  I have the Lima Italian Bo-Bo which runs beautifully, a shame to hear that the French shunter lags some way behind.

Archived