No traction tyres - what can I do?

Evening all,

I have just received a loco which I bought on eBay.  It's in great cosmetic condition and the motor works fine - but it struggles to move even on a straight, and slips to a halt on a curve, because it has no traction tyres.  Inevitably it can't haul anything!  This is a little disappointing as the listing states 'runs well in either direction' - the motor does but not the loco!

What can I do to cure this?  The obvious one is to add some tyres, but sourcing the correct type (it's a Minitrix Swiss Co-Co) will be difficult and fitting them will also be a challenge.  Equally, I could send it back, but is there anything else I can do to improve its performance?  Is there any way of improving adhesion other than tyres? I suspect not but I thought I'd check!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Evening all,

I have just received a loco which I bought on eBay.  It's in great cosmetic condition and the motor works fine - but it struggles to move even on a straight, and slips to a halt on a curve, because it has no traction tyres.  Inevitably it can't haul anything!  This is a little disappointing as the listing states 'runs well in either direction' - the motor does but not the loco!

What can I do to cure this?  The obvious one is to add some tyres, but sourcing the correct type (it's a Minitrix Swiss Co-Co) will be difficult and fitting them will also be a challenge.  Equally, I could send it back, but is there anything else I can do to improve its performance?  Is there any way of improving adhesion other than tyres? I suspect not but I thought I'd check!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Push.

Bill

The snot works well, but the sample I had dried out before I could do more than test it - undoubtedly my fault for not ensuring the container was air tight. It is an insulator, so keep it off wheels used for pick up.

Traction tyres could possibly be available for another make with the same size (or slightly smaller) wheels. Minitrix will be difficult to source.

I have a pathological loathing of "rubber" tyres on model trains, so have never tried this myself, but I do wonder if ordinary silicone sealant could be used in this application. Smear on a very slightly oversized dose, then trim the excess off afterwards with a scalpel.

Has anyone tried it?

K

Peters Spares in county Durham have recently started selling Minitrix traction tyres for class 47's, and although I haven't tried I'd guess these are the right size for your Swiss loco (or close). Price is £4.80 for 20, and worth a quick flip through the rest of their range if ordering to combine postage. You could call them to see if they know the wheel diameters to check sizing.

John.

I use slices of heatshrink sleeving.

Stewart

Definitely works replace all my tyres this way, cut heat shrink tube about thickness of tyre required, use silghtly larger diameter, place over tyre then heat shrink using either a gas flame solder iron or electric, strinks onto tyre lasts longer than rubber or O rings

Archived