The Great British Train Show

davknigh

The Platelayers Society http://www.theplatelayers.org/ is pleased to announce the Great British Train Show will be returning in 2016 on Saturday May 7th & Sunday May 8th at the Jim Archdekin Recreation Centre, 292 Conestoga Drive, Brampton, Ontario.

This show has been held every 2 years since 1992 and to our knowledge is the only show dedicated to British Model Railways in North America. You will see exhibits/operating layouts covering all aspects of British model railways depicting life in Britain over the last century. Numerous vendors will be offering new and used model railway, model vehicles, books and many other collectibles.

Admission is only $10.00 for adults, $5.00 for Children or there is a special price of $20.00 for a family of 4 (max. 2 adults). Free parking is available on-site.

The Great British Train Show is organized by The Platelayers Society, a group of railway enthusiasts, primarily living in Southern Ontario, Canada. Our interests are in the railways of Britain, either as modelers or as armchair enthusiasts. If you are interested in British railways, new members are always welcome. Visit our web site at http://www.theplatelayers.org/ for more information or contact as below:

Alan Farmer

(publicity, general questions)

Phone:519-929-9692

E-mail:farmeralan27@gmail.com

David Hughes

(vendors & exhibitors)
Phone: 416-590-6321
E-Mail:
David.Hughes@ttc.ca

• RMweb Premium

For those driving from farther away, Highway 410 is at exit 348 on Hwy 401 -- 3.48 hours from the border at Detroit.

Brampton is located on the opposite side of the airport from Toronto.

The location is not really convenient for public transport.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks to a lot of circumstances beyond my control, i am now actually going to be home for GBTS 2016, which means i should actually be able to make it.  I'm looking forward to it, as it's always a fun show, and will hopefully let me knock some items off my shopping list!!

Thanks to a lot of circumstances beyond my control, i am now actually going to be home for GBTS 2016, which means i should actually be able to make it.  I'm looking forward to it, as it's always a fun show, and will hopefully let me knock some items off my shopping list!!

You can look forward to 22 vendors and 25 exhibitors to help relieve you of your hard earned, well, the vendors anyway... :declare:

Cheers,

David

• RMweb Premium

Stop to see me at the demonstrators table. I'll be doing card kits -- my effort at showing the younger ones the things that can be done.

The other David will be running a P4 layout.

You can look forward to 22 vendors and 25 exhibitors to help relieve you of your hard earned, well, the vendors anyway... :declare:

Cheers,

David

I have enough on order with Model Rail Imports that i probably don't "need" the other 21 vendors, but that's never stopped me before :P

Stop to see me at the demonstrators table. I'll be doing card kits -- my effort at showing the younger ones the things that can be done.

The other David will be running a P4 layout.

I will defintiely try to stop by and say hi, not sure whether its going to be a Saturday or Sunday visit.  That decision will likely not be made until after i see if Leicester City can seal the deal on Sunday, or if their game on the 7th means something.  I'm not even a fan of them, its the improbability of their season given the history of the Premier League that has drawn me in.  I'm just hopeing my team finds a way to stay up!!

Stephen

Shameless promotion from me...... This exhibition is a lot of fun and a great day or 2 out. Well worth travelling to. Just a shame we can't get there this year. We even dragged our layout clear across Canada (twice) to the show.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been looking forwards too it since last time!!  Definitely going tomorrow (Saturday), maybe Sunday too.......

Mark.

I am definitely going tomorrow (Saturday) as well.  I'm looking forward to meeting people, shopping, and admiring the modelling skills of the exhibitors.  I'll post pictures after as well for those who can't make it.

Stephen

Great day at the GBTS today. Was busy working for Model Railway Imports. Good to meet up with old friends and make new ones.

I was especially delighted to see Rapido. Trains represented there by Bill Schnieder, who had an APT-E on display. Keep up the good work Bill and Jason and co..

Cheers

Chris

• RMweb Premium

A few RmWebbers dropped by my table today.

If you didn't come, there's one more day.  There's a whole layout for sale -- they don't want to take it back to Victoria.

• RMweb Premium

I enjoyed the show yesterday. There were some lovely detailed layouts there, complete with point rodding and working, point levers, and signals.

Also great to see the Hornby Dublo hammering around.

Also excellent that Rapido were there. The APT-E is excellent. They also had some pictures of the Stirling single CAD files.

To the Platelayers, many thanks for organizing it again. Much appreciated by me, and by many judging by the lineup going outside the building on Saturday morning opening.

I could not see a new limited edition Platelayers wagon there this year. if I missed one please let me know as I would like to maintain my collection :-)

Tom

• RMweb Premium

Tom:

Nice to see you and other RMWebbers at the show.

There was no new souvenir wagon this year. The last one took a long time to dispose of, even with an order of only around 100 (or 125?)

There were 3 wagons. 7-plank 2002.  Gunpowder van 2004. 6-wheel tank 2009 (?). All by Dapol.

I nearly finished the building.

Public feedback claims that they missed the big O-gauge tailchaser.

Thanks to the Organizers for another fun show.  Hopefully it won't be 10 years between visits for the next time.  This was the 4th show I think I have been at, over the last 20 years.  But hey, now I am retired...

James

Woke up at 05:00 yesterday and decided to head on down to the show.  Very pleased I did.  Managed to pick up some stuff I wanted at good prices.  Was really impressed with the quality of the layouts.  IMHOP I though they were the best I had seen in a number of years and it wasn't just an odd one, they were all good and all worked well.  Not only that, but thanks to peach james and his colleague I was able to see one of the few working Beyer Garret (tongue in cheek) and a tilting APT.  Now that thing was marvel.  Not my cup of tea but still a marvel and a good advert for the Stirling that I have been sitting on the fence about.  Made it back about 20:30 after 1015 km.  

A bit delayed, but great show again.  I'll be writing up my thoughts on my blog in the signature, hopefully in the next couple of days.  But in the meantime, here is the link to my pictures from Saturday on Flickr:

https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=55976115%40N00&sort=date-taken-desc&text=GBTS%202016&view_all=1

Cheers

Stephen

A bit delayed, but great show again.  I'll be writing up my thoughts on my blog in the signature, hopefully in the next couple of days.  But in the meantime, here is the link to my pictures from Saturday on Flickr:

https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=55976115%40N00&sort=date-taken-desc&text=GBTS%202016&view_all=1

Cheers

Stephen

That crew at the Rapido booth are SCARY looking.... ;>)

Bill

That crew at the Rapido booth are SCARY looking.... ;>)

Bill

Ahh, they're really good guys, even when you show up unannounced on a Tuesday morning at their office and interrupt their work!!!

Stephen

• 3 weeks later...

Archived