What is it?

Came across this at a the local agricultural show a couple of weeks ago. It was bequeathed to the local engineering society by a former member. It had been sitting out in a farm shed under a tarp for the past 50 or so years. The sign in front of it was asking if anyone had any information about it. All they had done was remove the cobwebs and give the brass a bit of a scrub. I can’t remember if it was 5inch or 7¼ gauge. The wagons in fornt of it came with it too.

post-6928-126786809821_thumb.jpg

Nice bit of kit there. Appears to be a freelance loco (I know nowt about oz railways) which has elements of exported North British locos, the prototype "great northern" and the GW King.

The loco definitely has its' basis in the Ivatt/Marsh wide firebox atlantic family. I suspect it will have been built following the the designs of 'LBSC' aka Curly Lawrence, one of whose live steam builders books I had some years ago, before passing it on to a 5" gauge live steaming friend. Quite a popular subject for a live steam loco because it had several virtues: relatively compact for an express passenger type, large firebox, simple parallel barrel boiler, very flexible wheelbase for sharp curves. As modernised here with outside Walschaerts gear it much resembles the Ivatt engine Gresley experimentally rebuilt.

The tender is a complete freelance, designed more for driver 'ride-on' qualities than appearance.

Archived