Battern fitted tube wagon

Thanks, but the photo raises more questions. Battens in that photo are fitted to the sides where the uprights are, would they have continued across the floor? I am building a ferry tube, and would the battens on the sides have been fitted to the inside of the large doors?

The reason I ask is that I thought the battens would have been pieces of wood fitted across the floor to allow the easier use of either fork lift or ropes/crane to get under the load. I wouldn't have thought battens would have been fitted to the sides, unless there was a reason to stop lateral movement of said load.

I have seen a photograph by Mr Harvey that show gas pipes loaded on a tube wagon.

This does not show side battens but does show floor battens. both transverse and diagonal.

It also shows what I take to be barrel chocks. I hope that term is understandable, it is what I know them as.  

Could either be a deep timber section with a notch for the pipe or a shallower section with a pair of triangular cleats to hold the pipe.

The details are not that clear as the photo is to show the load rather than the supports but the arrangement I describe will meet the criteria you refer to.

I have no idea if these chocks were used for rail traffic but they were certainly used on road trailers and for storage on the ground. I imagine the arrangements would have been similar.

Bernard

• RMweb Premium

The BR GA drawing specifies a 4 inch batten on the floor but it doesn't say how many are fitted. You can download a copy of the GA drawing from the Barrowmore mrg website. The drawing is in the BR freight book number 2 under diagram 448 on page 78 of the pdf.

There are also other variants of the wagon from diagrams 446 to 449 although 446 is the 20 ton version.

Ian

Archived