Shapeways High Detail Acrylate / HDA

Aye, was just wondering if anyone else has received prints and could comment.

I'm hoping they refine the process as I would still like to be able to release loco bodies in it providing they can get it right.

Seems the best of both FUD and WSF when done right.

Indeed, I am actually waiting to see myself.

Ideally I would've given it a shot, but I'm working on my first batch of models so I don't want a mess of it. I'd rather have a proper batch of prints so that my customers nor I end up paying so much.

• Like 1

I've had some of my Biomass Hopper Doors on order for about 6 weeks now in HDA, they keep flipping from Pre-Production to Production then back again. They were unable to print some bogie frames because I'd used a sprue to keep them together. Not impressed so far with HDA, seems to have too many constraints compared to the other materials they print in.

• 10 months later...

Got my first HDA print, wish I'd seen this thread!

Detail and finish is great, warping is not

post-6836-0-35241000-1493763037_thumb.jpg

post-6836-0-30944200-1493763066_thumb.jpg

post-6836-0-32979100-1493763092_thumb.jpg

post-6836-0-75502800-1493763132_thumb.jpg

I'm assuming that it's something to do with the way twin walls cool, it seems to have happened at the most unsupported corners and pretty much equally. Both walls are 1mm thick, but the outer ones have the mortar courses

Is it worth heating it to try and bend it in?

I haven't tried heating for a re-bend on my examples but it is worth a shot. Complain to them and you may get a retry or refund, especially with the pic proof. Failing that you will have nothing to lose trying to heat bend.

Yeah, as it's a building extreme straightness isn't a requirement, although the little tabs are supposed to fit in slots in a larger wall, not printed yet. If they don't fit I can always cut them off and align by eye. Gonna try a little heat and I'll report back

If I was to print again, I'd put a bar between the two corners that have warped to prevent them spreading.

Edited by Talltim
  • Like 1

For fine detail, using these plastics is OK, but is it worth it for most building items, which are not exactly smooth, and WSF is actually FAR FAR BETTER. Window bars can be thinned down easily if necessary.I have done a lot of buildings now and plan to do more.

Personally I would suggest trying to do all buildings in WSF. I have even done them in N gauge, where you do have to adapt designs, size of brick etc. You might want to do windows, possibly doors as separate items.

Also my HO scale buildings even have the drainpipes as part of the same print design.

One of my designs

br-ho-box3-sm.jpg

Usng the right material for the right job is important.

Edited by rue_d_etropal

I don't know where you based those houses on but that roof style is very reminiscent of Barnsley.

I've printed some bridge and track components in WSF (well actually BSF), but I wouldn't be happy with the finish for more finely detailed things, they look rough compared the plasticard scratchbuilt buildings on the rest of the layout. Plus I wanted to try HDA, I'm not keen on the post-processing required for FUD/FED

they are typical East Lancs(the sloping roof following hill is only found round here and South Wales), although they might have similar on other side of Pennines. Looking at many real buildings, I wonder if the problem is with other plastic buildings not looking like the WSF ones. I see a lot of errors in plastic buildings, and brick and stone are rarely smooth or shiny.

I have not come across BSF, but I do know WSF has got better over the years, and if I can get separate drainpipes, only connected to wall at supports then it must be OK.

Edited by rue_d_etropal