Intercity 47 project

Decided April i will start the detailing process of both Hornby locos 47840 "North Star" and 47487. Been itching to get back down to CVR and work on something so i need to do something to stave of the boredom on days off and do things. So im putting together a shopping list and peoples opinion on what details need improving on these locos or adding so here it is

Gone with Fox transfers etched nameplates for 47840 North Star but without pics on there website to show me what they look like i havnt decided yet

47487 need a set of buffers purchasing to replace missing ones when it was purchased

47840 need new cab numbers or finishing them off

Depot code and plate possibly adding to the locos? 47840 has one 47487 does not

they seem to have the holes for the detailing kit on the front so maybe a purchase from a spares site would fix that?

paint the light silver on both locos at each end the square light above the buffer

Should glazing be replaced as its pritty scratched up on 47840 so if i get one set should i replace it on both locos

Should I replace the wipers on both locos as the seem printed on i think not proper 3d detail

Anything else you guys can think of worth replacing besides doing major surgery requiring a respray of bits im more into just detailing atm if i had another bodyshell maybe id try major surgery on it with etched grills and respraying them also

Nice engines but could be improved as you mention, depends what money you want to spend and what skills you have already. Detail pipes could be fitted on engines made out piano wire or guitar strings but be careful in fitting these as you could restrict your locos operation with the bogie couplers. Fox do very good items i recommend them for detailing an engine but also modelmaster do items. The best way to reglaze would be with se finecast flush glazing. Wipers made from staples and also maybe remodel the undertank with something more realistic

If fox had pics of the nameplates i would have ordered them to start the project by now but they dont so i havnt bothered. Peter's spares has the spares for the buffers pack of 4 needed for 47480 to replace missing ones at one end and the shawplan glazing as you suggested does it come as a pair or do i need to order 4 lots . Cheers for the info will scour the net for pics of the 2 locos to see what i need to do and then start it when im back from holiday

For detailing bits like wipers, try looking at Heljan spares from howes of oxford. Wipers in plastic, just needing a small hole and a bit of glue for 75p last time i looked. Also, you can get handrails, including the front one with the lamp iron on. As for buffer beam detailling bits, look for Hornby spares, the 08 pack comes with air and vacume pipes, or for just air pipes replica. Buffers either dave f`s cast oleos, or the Hornby spares for the 56. The Hornby pack for the 50 comes with both the MU jumpers and the ETH cable/socket, but is very rarely available.

PS, what is the base model you are using? Is it the limby versions? If it is, and you are keeping the old lima buffers, a quick plea on here may help you get replacement one from someone who is upgrading the old ones (like myself).

If fox had pics of the nameplates i would have ordered them to start the project by now but they dont so i havnt bothered. Peter's spares has the spares for the buffers pack of 4 needed for 47480 to replace missing ones at one end and the shawplan glazing as you suggested does it come as a pair or do i need to order 4 lots . Cheers for the info will scour the net for pics of the 2 locos to see what i need to do and then start it when im back from holiday

I wouldn't worry about the Fox nameplates looking right ... the only thing to watch might be the background colour of them, but thats normally specified too where there could be more than one colour the nameplates were painted in

Was working in the square light on the front of a 33 preparing it for paint and rust protection and it reminded me since the lamp is plastic i have some clear plastic windows from military model kits could i cut some of them out and use em as the light cover with some silver paint behind it or just paint it silver

Archived