New Bachmann Jinty 32-235

MarkK

Hi,

I realise the Bachmann Jinty decoder discussion is, by now, a well trodden path, but I was wondering if the NEW Jinty model 32-235 was any different internally when it comes to fitting a decoder. The manufacturer states it is DCC ready with 8-pin plug, however, I can find little info as to how much room is available and recommended decoder etc.  I am not planning on going for sound at this moment in time, but would like to fit a quality decoder. 

If there is anyone that could offer guidance, it would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

They've arrived ! :)

Fitting the Zen ZN8H was a breeze, five minutes if that. 

1) Teased the couplings out with a small flat bade screwdriver.

2) Removed the two chassis retaining screws (This allowed the chassis to drop completely away from the body), wasn't tight for a change !

3) Removed the 8-pin blank plug.

4) The pin designations are marked on the PCB behind the motor.

5) Fitted the decoder 8-pin plug to the PCB

6) Tucked the decoder into the smoke box on the body before pushing the chassis back in place.

7) Re-fit the screws and couplings - Bob's your uncle.......

Runs sweet even prior to running in.  Detail is fantastic. 

My only complaint would be, that you can see the PCB under boiler between the tanks, nothing a piece of black insulation tape will not fix.

All in all, I am suitably impressed.  The stay-alive that comes with the decoder should fit, once soldered to the flying leads from the decoder.  There should be ample room for it to go into the smoke box along with the decoder.

Mark

• RMweb Gold

They've arrived ! :)

Fitting the Zen ZN8H was a breeze, five minutes if that. 

1) Teased the couplings out with a small flat bade screwdriver.

2) Removed the two chassis retaining screws (This allowed the chassis to drop completely away from the body), wasn't tight for a change !

3) Removed the 8-pin blank plug.

4) The pin designations are marked on the PCB behind the motor.

5) Fitted the decoder 8-pin plug to the PCB

6) Tucked the decoder into the smoke box on the body before pushing the chassis back in place.

7) Re-fit the screws and couplings - Bob's your uncle.......

Runs sweet even prior to running in.  Detail is fantastic. 

My only complaint would be, that you can see the PCB under boiler between the tanks, nothing a piece of black insulation tape will not fix.

All in all, I am suitably impressed.  The stay-alive that comes with the decoder should fit, once soldered to the flying leads from the decoder.  There should be ample room for it to go into the smoke box along with the decoder.

Mark

Good result, Mark. Thanks for posting your findings, too, it'll help others to follow your lead.

Archived